Internet Explorer Home page problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

neveron

for some reason, my computer's Internet Explorer 6 home page is not allowed to be changed. i.e, when i go to "tools" and then internet options, and under "General" bar, i am not allowed to enter any other link. i guess someone who used my computer could have mistakenly agree to download some progam which makes the its own default homepage. i am running Windows 98.
could someone help please?

What is the homepage? :p

You may want to run a spyware scanner like Ad-Aware or SpyBot,
they usually take care of such things.

Well, you can try. If your problem was caused by something that Spybot or Adaware classifies as spyware, then yes, it should fix it up. If it was caused by something else, it may not.
What is the page it has locked on there?

i used the method that you guys told, but it seems it doesn't work... Ad Aware doesn't remove it...

at the moment, i could only set the homepage through registry editing. i.e, use "regedit"
i don't know why i still can't change the homepage through the internet explorer propertities.

As far as I am aware, it is possible to grant/deny permissions to set the IE homepage, as this would sometimes be done in a work environment, but unfortunately I'm not sure how to do this , sorry.

IE restrictions are in
HKEY_USERS \ .Default \ Software \ Microsoft \ Internet Explorer \ Control Panel
If there are more than one user profile, replace .Default with appropriate user name.
Under that key, you might find DWORD value "HomePage". If it is 0, changing homepage is disabled. 1 enables it.

Scratch that first post of mine ;)

Click on Start, Run, type in regedit & hit Ok.
Expand to [HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel] or [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\Policies\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\Control Panel]. Add/Edit the "HomePage" DWORD Value to "0" (without the "") to enable changes to be made in Internet Options to the homepage.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back