Internet Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

vetman667966

Soyo P4X400, Intel Celeron 2.8GHz, 760MB Memory, 60GB and 250GB HDDs, Realtek NIC to Embarq 660Series Modem, ADSL, XP PRO, Spybot S&D, Windows BitDefender, ZoneAlarm firewall, AVG Free AntiVirus and AVG AntiSpyware. Ran online and offline scans and found nothing.

When I haven’t accessed the internet recently, just playing games locally, when I then go to check HotMail, Google, or anything else online, the computer will not load pages from the internet.

Thought maybe the NIC was going to sleep and not waking up, so I replaced the Compaq NIC (which had no provision to turn off to save energy) with a Realtek NIC which does have a power-save option in Device Manager. Set it so it would not turn off and still won’t load web pages without a warm reboot.

Any and everything works locally. Word, Excel, games, etc.

Replaced the Sprint 645 Series ADSL modem with Embarq 660 Series modem. No joy.

Tried a “Keep Connected” program to see if that would help. No joy.

Set up a “ping” (ping 5 times) batch program and used Task Scheduler to run it every 30 minutes. No joy. Ping sends out 6 packets, receives 6 packets. Still won’t load web pages with IE after inactivity.

Changed time interval to ping an internet site to every 10 minutes. Still won’t load web pages after inactivity.

Ran “ipconfig /renew” as admin; sends out 7 packets, receives 1 packet.

Tried to access Hotmail (IE7); sends no packets, receives none.

Reboot, everythings fine. Wife plays cards online for hours at a time; no problem. But if she attempts to play after inactivity, have to reboot.

First, reasonablly complete post! :)

You've got the right idea (re keep alive), but you need that setting in your
Embarq 660Series Modem.

Thanks for the suggestion. Talked to Emabrq about the modem; there APPARENTLY is no setting for "keep-alive". He did suggest I check my version of JAVA, and I did not have the latest version. Downloaded it and made some suggested changes in the security settings in IE7. Now I have rebooted and have to wait until the internet is inactive for a while to see if anything changes. Thanks again. Have a wonderful day.

Well Java certainly is not involved :)

btw; get some documentation using ipconfig /all

then use ipconfig /release
followed by ipconfig /renew and then
compare the results of another ipconfig /all to the original

my guess is the second is malconfigured with one or more of the addresses
missing.

if so, try to get new firmware for the modem.

Today, when it failed, I ran a batch program that pings a legitimate site on the internet, Worked successfully. Then tried Embarq, my ISP, and it worked. Didn't have to reboot as was the only cure previously. Now I will wait until failure to try your ipconfig suggestion. Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back