Internet Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am having problems with my internet connection. The only time this problem caused when I am passively downloading things from ares/ bit torrent, places like that. After 2 or 3 hours of downloading, my computer will suddenly decide that I'm not connected to the internet anymore. I attempt to repair, and it states that my cable is not plugged in. I will restart my computer and everything will be good again until I leave my computer for a few more hours to download. If I am not downloading anything from the internet, my internet connection stay connected. My computer is a GT 5228 gateway. I'm using just generic internet plug, and am haredwireded to a linksys router.

*Grabs tinfoil hat* The RIAA are watching you, use the proxy (this may not be the case, just me being weird, but still use a proxy for downloading this sort of stuff if you're not already doing so, also remember file sharing is naughty and is one of the main reasons why people get malware!!!)

Have you messed around witha any of the connection settings?

Have you tried reseating the "interenet plug" (by which I asume you mean an ethernet cable with an RJ-45 connecter) back into the ethernet port?

Have you tried using a different ethernet cable?

Speaking of malware have you had any virus/malware infections recently as sometimes viruses can affect the way your computer connects to the internet?

What OS are you using? Sounds like your computer is going to sleep or standby and turning off the ethernet adapter. Also when the screensaver comes on there is an option to block internet access.

I JUST found that my internet was checked to turn off the driver, I don't know if that's going to fix the problem, I'll update you in a little while. I tried everything you said turtle, and no, never really had a bad enough malware or virus before that i actually noticed it. Everyone probably gets them, but none bad enough to affect my computer performance. As for my downloading, I'm downloading discs that are to scratched at my house to reuse. I have evidence that I actually previously owned them. I would neevveerr download something illegal.... That's my official statement.

What OS are you using? Sounds like your computer is going to sleep or standby and turning off the ethernet adapter. Also when the screensaver comes on there is an option to block internet access.

Note he said it only happens when he is bit-torrenting, but it could be true, maybe he doesn't let it sit as long(Try looking for options that disable internet after hibernate). I would first go through all your Bit-Torrent program settings for something that "disables" or turns-off your internet after so many hours pass.

Do a few tests with a few different things over many days. Turn off your fire-wall and do the same thing, try going into your Device manager after your computer has disabled it and see if you can Enable it again, that's usually the cause of your computer seeing it as "Unplugged" because it is still disabled.

Hope you figure it out.

I JUST found that my internet was checked to turn off the driver, I don't know if that's going to fix the problem, I'll update you in a little while. I tried everything you said turtle, and no, never really had a bad enough malware or virus before that i actually noticed it. Everyone probably gets them, but none bad enough to affect my computer performance. As for my downloading, I'm downloading discs that are to scratched at my house to reuse. I have evidence that I actually previously owned them. I would neevveerr download something illegal.... That's my official statement.

Oh, that will probably fix your problem. If it turns off the drivers it's doing what I was saying, Disableing it. And to do it while the computers on you go to Start>My Computer(RIGHT CLICK) Manage, then device manager, then the network drivers should have an X and you just enable. Anyways you seem like you have fixed it, from what you said it sounds exactly right.

Everything seems fine here, carry on, lol.

"Turn off your fire-wall" While this may be a good troubleshooting idea to find out whether or not a fire wall is causing a problem, I would never recommend it. Leaving a computer open to attack is definitely not a laughing matter.

I'm guessing that when you say "never really had a bad enough malware or virus before that i actually noticed it" that your antivurus programme picked it up. So that's that problem ruled out.

Can't really think of any other solutions at the moment if playing around with the settings dosn't work, best of luck fixing your problem.

Well it would be better to download from a trusted friend, a program you had once, delete it, redownload. Plus bit-torrenting is usually pretty safe as long as you read the comments on it.

Attempting to fix it

Ok, so the internet shut off after my computer standby isn't the problem. I yet again ran into it. I am going to try the different methods, disabling the firewall and stuff like. I will post back in a day or 2 after I see if those attempts will work.

BTW, thanks for the help in the matter. I'll keep you updated till i figure it out.

Check deeper into it, program settings and see if it turns off after anything, hibernation. Also see if there are any additional settings for your ethernet card somewhere..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back