Internet OK, LAN malfunction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hope you can help repair torn out hair?---
5 Machines, I linksys wireless router WAG 160N..
Canard- XP Hpro SP2 - cabled
Mallard- XP Hpro SP2 - cabled
Swan - XP2 Hpro SP3 - cabled
Flying - Vista HP SP1 - wireless
Tufty - Vista HP SP1 - wireless

All are capable of accessing internet. LAN set up for sharing and all in WORKGROUP. Used to using remote desktop from all computers to Swan
Originally new computer "Tufty "had sporadic connections to LAN only some showing not others. Others were seeing each other and
Router was new and setup (apparently) OK.

LAN stopped working with computers showing as "unknown" and WORKGROUP computers not accesible - saying path not found.
Many, many hours trying web help and support lines! Many hours then spent with Linksys - good help - reset router a few times, went through setup and changed a few things I wouldn't have dreamt of and finally appeared to have cracked it with internet and LAN ok and remote desktop ok! -

then

Switched on yesterday and LAN all but disappeared, working on "Canard" and could remote desktop to "Mallard" but not "Swan"!
Then LAN not working on any computers - well - Network not showing anything but some allowing access to WORKGROUP and thus to folders etc but not all - and right now can't access network or WORKGROUP from anywhere.

Tried turning firewalls (AVG, Windows disabled) on and off till blue in face

Any help gratefully received....

Are all systems connected at the same time or just a few and then others boot and shutdown (by the user) randomly?

Conjecture is that two systems might have the same IP address which can only
occur it YOU manually configured the tcp settings. Is this true or do you always use
the DHCP feature?

I would update the firmware to the router regardless; out-of-the-box routers almost
always have down level firmware that needs updates.
While you're at it, if/when you do get connectivity, update the drivers for all network
devices.

Lastly, can you correlate your problems to activities while running (ie you're on Canard and Mallar does xxx) or ONLY to no connectivity after booting?

Are all systems connected at the same time or just a few and then others boot and shutdown (by the user) randomly?

Conjecture is that two systems might have the same IP address which can only
occur it YOU manually configured the tcp settings. Is this true or do you always use
the DHCP feature?

Random! Turned off computer browser from 2 of wired computers as first step. All are DHCP

I would update the firmware to the router regardless; out-of-the-box routers almost
always have down level firmware that needs updates.
While you're at it, if/when you do get connectivity, update the drivers for all network
devices.

Did firmware update with Linksys man before first message

Lastly, can you correlate your problems to activities while running (ie you're on Canard and Mallar does xxx) or ONLY to no connectivity after booting?
All working now after turning on one at a time very carefully! - network visible and remote desktop OK
but (g)
IP addresses seem to change - is there a setting in networking or on the router to "fix" them?
also when I "browse" when using remote desktop, it says "no domain servers" in WORKGROUP - I know that's not true 'cos I can connect to say 198.164.1.5 - something fishy there.

Your pages on troubleshooting were really useful - thanks for your time

to add some additiona comments...

Tried turning firewalls (AVG, Windows disabled) on and off till blue in face
Isn't clear from your statement, so fyi....
- Changes in your firewall don't have immediate impact on what you see in Windows Network status/behavior. Many changes can take up to 12 minutes (some actually up to 45 mins!)
- Best way to test firewalls: disconnect from ISP, turn them ALL off, REBOOT ALL computers, then check impact to Windows Network

also when I "browse" when using remote desktop, it
Recommended best method for browsing from EACH computer is to Open My Network Places (or its equivalent) then select View Workgroup Computers under Network Tasks

All working now after turning on one at a time very carefully! - network visible and remote desktop OK but (g) IP addresses seem to change - is there a setting in networking or on the router to "fix" them?
It shouldn't matter if IP addresses are changing unless that's in fact pointing to part of your problem. When you say "always changing" you mean after reboot? or changing while running? And, as joebear asked, are they all set to getting their IP's automatically using DHCP? ** EDIT**, Ooops, i now see you answered the DHCP part of my question.. but still, when do you see them changing? and on random computers or which ones?

Finally, not sure that this is your problem but have seen it cause odd problems. If possible, configure your machines so when your computers (all running the Computer Browser service) elect one amongst themselves as MASTER it's not a wireless system. Momentary quirks in wireless connections only means it can force a new Master election and you may end up with TWO computers thinking they're master (which ain't good). click here

hum; you should not see Domain Server comments or messages in a home base lan setup. Subnets are either
  1. WORKGROUP
  2. DOMAINs
and you would 'Join Domain xxx' and use Network Login of you have the latter.

For you to see Domain Server messages, it looks like you made the wrong choice
with the Network Wizard.

Rerun the Network Wizard and choose Workgroup

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back