internet search returns search engines not results

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is an odd problem that started occurring on my laptop recently.
When I type in a search (this happens in every search enging I have tried)
the results LOOK okay, but if I click on the hyperlink at the top of the result it doesn't take me to the site listed at the bottom, it takes me to a variety of different other search engine sites.
Occassionally, if I click on a result lower on the page that link works properly, then it seems like all the links work okay. This even went away for a couple days, but now it has returned.
It seemed so much like a virus that I ran my virus scanner (I use AOL- it runs in the background) but it returned nothing.
I have no idea what is going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Srl692

What are you searching for? There are special sites whose only purpose is to rank high in search engine results and lure you to access them (generate advertising revenue).

Use a proper virus scanner and an adware scanner. Try the online scan at www.trendmicro.com and any of the spyware scanners like Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware or Hijackthis (see the instructions for that first).

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE. Post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread and I`ll advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of srl692 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

the HJT you requested to solve (hopefully) my problem

Thanks Howard. I hope you can figure out what is happening. BTW I ran adaware and found nothing but some cookies.

Steve

The only entry in your HJT log that looks suspicious is this one.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dmecb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmecb.exe

I can find very little info for this file.

I suggest you go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of srl692 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back