TechSpot

internet search returns search engines not results

By srl692
Oct 2, 2006
  1. This is an odd problem that started occurring on my laptop recently.
    When I type in a search (this happens in every search enging I have tried)
    the results LOOK okay, but if I click on the hyperlink at the top of the result it doesn't take me to the site listed at the bottom, it takes me to a variety of different other search engine sites.
    Occassionally, if I click on a result lower on the page that link works properly, then it seems like all the links work okay. This even went away for a couple days, but now it has returned.
    It seemed so much like a virus that I ran my virus scanner (I use AOL- it runs in the background) but it returned nothing.
    I have no idea what is going on and any help would be greatly appreciated.

Srl692

2. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

What are you searching for? There are special sites whose only purpose is to rank high in search engine results and lure you to access them (generate advertising revenue).

Use a proper virus scanner and an adware scanner. Try the online scan at www.trendmicro.com and any of the spyware scanners like Spybot S&D or Ad-Aware or Hijackthis (see the instructions for that first).

3. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

Go and read this thread HERE. Post a HJT log as an attachment into this thread and I`ll advise.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

This thread is for the use of srl692 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

4. srl692

srl692 TS Rookie Topic Starter

the HJT you requested to solve (hopefully) my problem

Thanks Howard. I hope you can figure out what is happening. BTW I ran adaware and found nothing but some cookies.

Steve

5. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 24,177   +19

The only entry in your HJT log that looks suspicious is this one.

O4 - HKLM\..\Run: [dmecb.exe] C:\WINDOWS\system32\dmecb.exe

I can find very little info for this file.

I suggest you go HERE and follow the instructions exactly.

Post fresh HJT and Ewido logs, only after doing the above.

Regards Howard :)

This thread is for the use of srl692 only. Please don`t post your own virus/spyware problems in this thread. Instead, open a new thread in our security and the web forum.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.