TechSpot

Internet Society announces World IPv6 Launch day for June 6

By Matthew
Jan 18, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. The Internet Society has announced that it's working with major ISPs, makers of home networking equipment and Web companies to permanently enable IPv6. Said to be the largest transition in…

Read the whole story
  2. why not skip straight to ip8!
  3. Rasta211

Rasta211 TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 194   +24

I'm trying to write this 34 undecillion number. Does that mean I write the number 34 followed by 36 zero's to get undecillion?
  4. Holyscrap

Holyscrap Newcomer, in training Posts: 39   +12

its 340 undecillion so its 34 with 37 zeroes followingso the magic number is 3.4e+38 or
    <<340000000000000000000000000000000000000>>
  5. I lost count after 34 trillion..... :(
  6. PinothyJ

PinothyJ TechSpot Enthusiast Posts: 429   +15

That is interesting. Internode, a South Australian ISP, has recently been purchased by iiNet, another Australian ISP, which already owns Westnet (a Western Australian ISP) yet the latter are not participating :S?

How strange…
  7. Scshadow

Scshadow TechSpot Maniac Posts: 352   +40

I'm scared of the day we outgrow IPv6. I mean... we could say its impossible and logically thinking it probably actually is, but oh how many times in the past have we proclaimed things impossible when it comes to tech.
  8. I wonder if we can dispose of NAT on our routers. So each device on a LAN can have its own external IP?
  9. Hahaha..Well said...
  10. NAT?

http://support.apple.com/kb/HT4669
  11. Per Hansson

Per Hansson TS Server Guru Posts: 1,930   +123 Staff Member

We will never outgrow IPv6, there are more addresses available than there are grains of sand on this planet.
    That being said it could become outdated for some other reason, but not due to running out of a address space I assure you!

12. yRaz

yRaz TechSpot Booster Posts: 890   +91

What if we give all the sand an IP address?
  13. Burty117

Burty117 TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,494   +304

I reckon we'll start to get low on IPv6 addresses when we either discover aliens and we integrate our networks with theirs, Or we start to colonize other planets and we really do start to grow the size we currently are on multiple planets, thinking Mass Effect style.
  14. SCJake

SCJake Newcomer, in training Posts: 80

Never say never my friend. just like we'll never have biocomputers... cough cough israel cough cough

i mean its totally impossible to make a computer out of 100% DNA right? we'll never have one cough cough israel cough cough
  15. jobeard

jobeard TS Ambassador Posts: 13,369   +302

Conceptually, but for administration and control reasons, we are better off with NAT.
    Consider the level of skill a home user would need to defend him/herself if directly attached to the network.
    The SPI feature alone in our routers is worth setting behind a NAT router.
  16. Somian

Somian Newcomer, in training

yeah… perhaps, one day, there will be trillions of nano-bots in our drinking water, cleaning it. But with this number, we could fill the oceans with nanobots and they could still have their own IPv6 :D

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.