Internet speed fluctuation

Status
Not open for further replies.

princevulpine

I'm not certain if this is the right place to post, but I have a question.
We just got cable internet, speeds up to 12 mbps.
When I first turn the computer on, I will check the speed through an online checker, and it will show up to 30 mbps. WOW.
Here is the stinker. If I run a torrent program for several hours, then shut that program completely down, the speed checker will show only 2 or 3 mbps. Now, if I restart the system, the speed will jump back up to 30 mbps...
Is this common, and if so, why?

Running torrent or file sharing programs takes out all the promises from the ISP. It is dependent on who is sharing what, when.

If I run a torrent program for several hours, then shut that program completely down, the speed checker will show only 2 or 3 mbps.

It is also possible that the ISP may be limiting your use or overuse of broadband.

And for the record, no two 'speed checkers' ever agree.

hmmm, i thought so...

I either use speakeasy or just speedtest.net...
Yeah, I would imagine the speed fluxuates per the host that you are connecting to, as well.
It makes sense that they would limit it, but what about when I restart the system, then all is well, even crazy faster (x2+ max mbps) than is promised... Could the modem that they gave me have this "limiter" build in?
So when I restart, the modem resets as well...?

you mentioned 30mbps, do you have comcast by chance? they are one pf the companies that restricts bandwidth usage as they see fit, as a matter of fact I think they are currently in court over it.

interesting...

Ding ding ding, yes, comcast is the right answer! And what do they win, Bob...? LOL
In court over it, wild... My sis in law was complaining about her computer speed and it acting funny. So I gave it a good once over and all was well. She thought it was something that I had done to it recently, Psshaw... Anywho, come to find out that she was behind on payment (as usual, with everything) so they were restricting her uasage.
So, this all makes sense.
Thanks for all your help!

Sometimes I think the speed thing is just a hoax!

My ISP use to use Speakeasy out of Atlanta for the server. Now they use Speedtest. Here are my results now:

Speakeasy> 4.8 down, 1.8 up
Speeadtest> 11.9 down, 1.8 up
Three different servers through Toast> Averages 2.5 down, 2.3 up

There is so much discrepancy. I have entertained the thought that the ISP somehow pads the results to compute higher, the reason being that Speakeasy is actually the same test!

When I was paying for 10mbps, I never got about 5. When I was upgraded to 15mbps, I never got above 11. Now the ISP bill says Turbo> 20mbps and it's only 11!

You figure it out! OF course when they come out and check everything with their instruments, I'm told everything is working fine and the speed is always faster!

RoadRunner through Bright House, West central Florida.
I am current on my payments and there is no 'cap'. I don't do any file sharing or music downloading, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back