iOS 8 (finally) delivers third-party keyboard support for iDevices

By Shawn Knight
Sep 18, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. Official support for one of the most requested features in iOS has finally arrived. With iOS 8 (available for download today), Apple for the first time ever opened their mobile OS up to third-party keyboard developers and as you might...

Read more
  2. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

I haven't tried another keyboard yet, but even the original Apple Wireless was quite slow, one click often results in multiple symbols on iPad 4 that I used. I will try again with iOS 8 tonight to see if anything changed there...

I updated iPhone 5 + iPad 4 to iOS 8 last night, they both seem to be working fine, no visible lag, not yet anyway.
  3. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

@VitalyT - That isn't what this is about, its about replacing the on-screen keyboard with 3rd party ones that can do stuff the iOS one can't/doesn't do. Like dragging your finger across keys.
  4. VitalyT

VitalyT Russ-Puss Posts: 3,114   +1,379

And I was talking about use of their own keyboard versus direct input being slow as it is. How is it not the same subject? If Apple couldn't get their own version of external keyboard to work well, I'm not sure what to expect from the third-party implementations... That's essentially what I was saying, now just repeating myself :)

On another re-read: Is it all just about software keyboard on iOS? Damn... :) Didn't occur to me, because I'm not familiar with those apps, so I was thinking hardware :)
    ikesmasher likes this.
  5. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Maniac Posts: 798   +217

Probably because until now they were never allowed on iOS.
  6. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

@Camikazi - which was the entire point of the story.
  7. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

Really digging Swiftkey.
  8. Skidmarksdeluxe

Skidmarksdeluxe TS Evangelist Posts: 6,347   +1,944

I never knew that iSheep couldn't download 3rd party keyboards. Thats stupid because default virtual keyboards are usually crappy affairs.

Yeah is great. Now you just need a proper device to use it on then you're set.
  9. Oh Apple, how you poked fun at Android for all those years just to end up copying everything.

Hackers keyboard ftw!