iOT devices on you router? beware ...

D

DelJo63

iOT devices on you router?

lots of new iOT(internet of things) devices are appearing which when connected to a WiFi router allegedly provide ease of access and some other benefits. I'm not interested in the cost/benefit question but highly concerned for your privacy and security.

@David Matthews has reported
that an iOT security camera (ironically) can be hacked and send audio into your home and any hour of the day!!

We glibly use the term "hacked" for anything unintended, but it really has a different use that's more appropriate: code that has been altered. Anyhow -- To effect 99% of these "hacked", it only takes a careless user at install time to (I'll generously say) forget to complete the configuration.

Typically, the installer "forgets" to set a new password and thus allows the device to operate with the well known and documented password, and then bemoans "I'VE BE HACKED". Sorry, you did it to yourself with carelessness.

The correct install to assure your privacy is:
1) Make the iOT device connection to a Guest WiFi SSID using that network passpharse​
2) Then set a new password for the iOT device​

(1) will divorce the iOT device(s) from your LAN and those assets. This will be a SECURITY enhancement for all your personal info on your LAN. If instead you carelessly connect to your WiFi router, ANY iOT device which gets "hacked" will have access to all your private information. Modern WiFi routers have a Guest Account capability -- if yours does not, I would immediately run to the store or your favorite online shopping website and get a new router (unless you like strange voices in the night visiting you).

(2) will stop trivial attempts to alter your iOT settings or software.

I will not go thru the rant of password choices as you've more than likely heard it until you are now blue-in-the-face and totally insensitive to that plea. I'll only say that ANY password can be "hacked" if the attacker is willing to make the effort -- so at least make it difficult!

Last edited by a moderator:
Back