IP adress problems

By confused001
Jul 3, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hello, I'm not sure if this is the correct spot.
    I have a windows 98, and am wondering how do you configure your ip adress. Because everytime i type ipconfig in run, a MSDOS screen pops up, and disapears.
    Im also wondering how you can, change the port on the ethernet adapter. This is because when i go to msdos, and i type ipconfig /All, it says that my ethernet adapter is on 1, not 0. When i go to my computer that works with internet, i see that it is on 0.
    Can anyone help me pleaze, Thank you. :)
  2. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

Try typing winipcfg in the run box, that will give you IP info.
  3. confused001

confused001 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 142

What about the port settings? how do you change those? For I cannot get on the internet without changing them, I think.
  4. fastco

fastco Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,511

I don't remember much about Win 98 but I don't think you can change the port settings on the Ethernet Device. Unless there is a setting in the bios. I'm sure if I'm wrong someone will correct me but I tried on XP to access posrt settings and couldn't find anything. I know you can change the port on a regular 56K modem but not an Ethernet Card.
  5. confused001

confused001 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 142

Ok, I had changed the port number thingy.
    Now a different problem arrises. when i do the winipcfg thing, and try and renew all, it would say:
    Error
    DHCP Server Unavalible: Renewing Adapter
    Any solution to this problem?

Does anyone at all have a driver for my network card, or do they know where to get it?
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.