IPHLPAPI.dll and ATIKMDAG.sys error causing mass issues.

Hello, my name is jake, I dont usually do this, but unfortunatley this issue seems so massive that I have to request help. Iv worked in the past as a computer technician fixing this kind of stuff, but yet even I cant do it.

It all started yesterday, I loaded up my pc fine, went on Rainbow Six Siege which is a popular steam game iv had a while, spawned in, took one step and the whole PC crashed. The usual blue screen of death came up stating that it was being caused by ATIKMDAG.sys, from what iv found this is most likely due to GPU driver errors, something im very used to fixing. But u will see that is not a simple as this.

At this point I was begging that the pc would just be fine when I rebooted, but it wasnt. I loaded it up and tons of my programs such as dropbox, A6210 and Spotify came up with errors, most just said that the program failed to start, but spotify gave more info saying the issue was caused by a missing or corrupt IPHLPAPI.dll. I cannot open any external programs (from what iv found) and some features dont work (eg the search bar at the bottom is just dead)

of course by this point iv researched into all this stuff, and tried everything to fix both these problems. Everything I try just seems to fail, and im not really sure why the pc crashed due to .sys error but now it says its a .dll error.

I have ran command prompt (as admin)
-ran SFC /scannow (returned error in first stage)
-ran check disk /r, which I had to leave over night, when I woke up there was the windows blue screen saying that windows failed to start correctly, with a ton of options to fix. I tried to just restart, which simply restarted the check disk, I then tried to reset my windows, which failed after not long.

Iv ran the above steps in safe mode also, updated drivers, windows updates and before anyone suggests it I dont have any recent backups to revert my windows too.

Has anyone got any suggestions at all? I can provide the specific errors upon request if you need it.

Its also important to state that about a month ago I added a second hand harddrive to the system, in addition to my existing one, it hasnt had any issues so far but I understand that could be the cause. The last program I installed was just a steam game about a week ago.

I dont know if this is because of this situation but my anti virus seems to of just dissapeared? u can decide wether or not this is relevant.

PC specs-
-windows 10
-FX-6300 CPU
-R9380x
-16gb of ram
-1tb hardrive
-2tb hardrive (new one)
-1000 watt psu

The pc contains alot of very valuable data, wiping it is not a option what so ever, this is not a typical PC, my sponsors have supplied alot of the equipment, I cannot lose it aha.

Thanks in advance...

To access the HD w/o booting from it, consider booting from a CD or Thumbdrive. The Knoppix product boots Linux and it will access the HD (or what's left). Then you can MOUNT any shared folder on your Lan and copy from A->B

To access the HD w/o booting from it, consider booting from a CD or Thumbdrive. The Knoppix product boots Linux and it will access the HD (or what's left). Then you can MOUNT any shared folder on your Lan and copy from A->B

I think I made it pretty clear in my Q that this is not what I want, I want a solution to my errors, not how to get my data.

Apparently, ATIKMDAG.sys is part of Crimson and IPHLPAPI.dll (IP Helper) is part of Windows. To have both fail together suggests major issues with the HDD.

Backup is first priority... see jobeard's advice..thing's can get rapidly worse.

Then, remove CATALYST.

Then, try to run SFC to fix problem with the Windows OS.

Check HDD (SMART, CHKDSK, etc) - if not dying, try DDU to remove all GPU stuff - then reinstall ATI drivers (only).

Hope it works for you.

Last edited:
Back