iPhone 5S, 5C teardown: Plenty of adhesive, missing M7 coprocessor

By Shawn Knight
Sep 20, 2013
Post New Reply
  1. Apple’s latest iPhones have finally hit the streets and for two unlucky devices, it’s already the end of the road as they wound up on the iFixit operating table. Both the iPhone 5S and the 5C have been given the...

Read more
  2. freythman

freythman TS Booster Posts: 112   +10

No surprises here. Apple has to have a reason for you to bring your device into their store for repair, and to steer you away from using a third-party. What better way to do it than to use an obscure screw, more adhesive than necessary, and brittle cables?
    Jad Chaar likes this.
  3. I don't follow... what prevents a third party to use the obscure screwdriver and deal with adhesive? If they are as professional as Apple's repairmen, they should not have problems with it.
  4. MilwaukeeMike

MilwaukeeMike TS Evangelist Posts: 2,729   +1,093

Cool article, and I'm glad it didn't turn into 'The iPhone only has $200 worth of parts in', which would then lead to the discussion of whether 'it should only cost $210 to buy except Apple is sooooo greedy.'
  5. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

The parts might only cost $200 but there are other cost which have to be factored in. R&D, marketing, return on investment come to mind straight away. It may well be that Apple are making an excessive profit on their phones but selling at $210 would mean them selling at a loss.
  6. mailpup

mailpup TS Special Forces Posts: 6,964   +355

Nothing prevents a third party from obtaining the special screwdriver and, yes, professional repair people should have no problem with it. However, as the article says the security screws are to discourage ordinary consumers from tinkering with it. It doesn't prevent them from doing so. It just makes it more difficult so at least some of them won't bother, that's all.

I'm not saying it's a good or bad thing or that I agree with it. It just is.
  7. MilwaukeeMike

That's exactly why the stories about the $200 bill of materials annoy me. There's more to the cost of a phone than just the street price of silicon.
  8. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

Um, that's why its specifically labelled Build of MATERIALS. If that is too hard to understand, then don't click on those headlines. Simple.
  9. MilwaukeeMike

I know.. I'm completely guilty of that sort of self-driven frustration. It's the same thing that makes me click on the alert that says 'hahahahnoobs has quoted you'.
  10. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,600   +411

You should get help with both issues, ASAP.

BTW, the BOM is more than just silicon, and iFixit is not responsible for the BOM numbers. iSuppli is.:)
  11. ThanosPAS

ThanosPAS TS Enthusiast Posts: 40   +9

In fundamental analysis of companies' financials, theory says, that a company's Competitive Advantage can be recognized by some pretty self evident charecteristics, and over priced products is one of them. It's just the way moats works - even if I don't prefer Apple's products, it's their position in the market that allows them to sell that high.
  12. Jad Chaar

Jad Chaar TS Evangelist Posts: 6,477   +965

I thought the M7 would be separate from the A7.
  13. Emexrulsier

Emexrulsier TS Guru Posts: 503   +42

Return on investment isn't a cost really, but yeah so many people simply look at the actual cost of the components and expect a company to make pittance of a profit simply because they can't afford it.
  14. pmcardle

pmcardle TS Enthusiast Posts: 115   +21

The biggest influence on the price of a device is consumer demand.
  15. Railman

Railman TS Booster Posts: 708   +101

Return on investment could be described as an opportunity cost.