IRS Inks $50 Million Hardware Deal With HP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio Franco

Staff member
The Internal Revenue Service has agreed to a $50 million deal to buy 3,000 HP ProLiant servers, including blade servers, and 30 HP StorageWorks storage area networks from a partnership between integrator PlanetGov and Hewlett-Packard, HP said Thursday. The agreement also involves professional consulting services.

Read more: Information Week.

It seems the IRS likes HP for some reason. They must have built quite a partnership, because previously they made a 3 year $100MIL deal with them for desktops and laptops. HP must have done some good negotiating to win this bid, as it has given them quite a public awareness that the IRS uses HP, so they must be good since the IRS is a huge deal. Nice work HP.

I would agree with Poert, HP definitely scored with a partnership with the IRS. I wonder if they gets any tax breaks :D

Hooking up with a government agency brings no ends but good I'm sure. Of course they need top of the line equipment, and on top of that spend millions on security. And the defense budget...:eek:

Originally posted by Vehementi
I would agree with Poert, HP definitely scored with a partnership with the IRS. I wonder if they gets any tax breaks :D

That's what everyone's thinking... Maybe Mr. Hewlett or Mr. Packard were on good terms with IRS. But HP's/Compaq's are crappy computers. They Should have went with Dell.

Originally posted by khoswThat's what everyone's thinking... Maybe Mr. Hewlett or Mr. Packard were on good terms with IRS. But HP's/Compaq's are crappy computers. They Should have went with Dell.

On what grounds do you have to say that HP's are crappy? Sure if you buy one of their POS computers, but if you get a fairly high end system there is nothing wrong with them, and they actually come with quite a few nice components.

Nothing wrong with HPs for the average user who doesn't muck with things, also nothing wrong with them for business use, as businesses usually order machines built for exactly what they need. HPs perform very well when used the way they were set up. Its when you(the user) starts making changes, that it becomes "crap".

They use generic components to build the computers, and have their own useless pre-installed software, that makes it a hassle when you want to install good programs. I bought a Compaq 4712 in 1998, and the hard drive (Quantum Bigfoot) and modem died in a year.

Well the average consumer won't need the biggest and baddest parts. That is who HP caters to, the average joe. And to be honest with you, they won't even notice a difference if they got a computer with better pieces. For who HP sells to and what they need, they are good computers.

Originally posted by khosw
I concede, they are built for the average user, but they still use generic components.

Actually, far from generic, they use a good deal of proprietary components. This is the reason why many people feel they are crap. For example, the PSU can't be replaced by any PSU, you must use one made for an HP. This is not true of all HP machines, but it is for a great number of models.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back