IRS tax filing website has been down all day

Cal Jeffrey

Staff member

In case it has slipped your mind, today is the deadline to file your taxes if you are a US citizen. Taxpayers have until midnight to file their 2017 tax return or else face a fine for being late.

Ironically, the Internal Revenue Service’s (IRS) online payment system (Direct Pay) is down and has been all day. According to the Washington Post, that and other services failed early this morning, and as of this writing, are still inoperable.

The agency expects that the volume of users trying to beat today's deadline may be what caused multiple systems to crash. David Kautter, the acting commissioner of the IRS, told Congress of the outage at an oversight hearing earlier today.

“On my way over here this morning, I was told a number of systems are down at the moment,” said Kautter. “We are working to resolve the issue, and taxpayers should continue to file as they normally would.”

Unfortunately, that is easier said than done if you “normally” file through the IRS website. Sure, filers can still do it the old-fashioned method with printable forms, pens, and postage stamps, and many do. In fact, so many taxpayers send their forms off through snail mail that most post offices remain open until midnight on tax day to be sure everyone has a chance to get that official postmark before the deadline.

However, manual tax preparation is an enormous hassle unless you have a very simple filing status that allows you to use one of the short forms. Naturally, if you have kids, a home business, deductions and other matters that complicate the process, the 1040EZ or even 1040A is not an option.

Unfortunately, manually doing long-form 1040 is in many cases less than ideal and in some impossible to complete in one day (see my return above). I have an accountant that does mine electronically, and it takes her over an hour. Doing my taxes myself with pen and forms would take days.

Aside from doing them manually, using an alternative e-file service, or a tax preparation expert, there is good news.

Kautter said that the IRS would not punish those who tried to file through Direct Pay, but were delayed by the glitches.

“If we can’t solve it today, we’ll figure out a solution,” said Kautter. “Taxpayers would not be penalized because of a technical problem the IRS is having.”

The agency is estimating more than 5 million people will attempt to file their returns today. How many make it under the deadline is anybody’s guess.

Permalink to story.

My taxes were done and my refund deposited in my bank account by the second week in February.

These folks who wait until the LAST DAY deserve all the grief that happens to them.

Those who know how money really works know that the U.S. income tax is the biggest fraud in the history of the concept of fraud, and those who don't think that people who say this are conspiracy theorists.

The Federal Reserve: The privately owned (non-government) institution robbing the U.S. people since 1913. It took a constitutional amendment to grant them the power to defraud the entire country, and unfortunately it'll take another one to remove said power.

Fun fact: Most people think their income taxes go to something useful, but really the lion's share of it goes to pay off merely the interest of the total debt owed by the government to the Federal Reserve. Banks own this country, and so long as money rules politics, it'll stay that way.

My taxes were done and my refund deposited in my bank account by the second week in February.

These folks who wait until the LAST DAY deserve all the grief that happens to them.

That is the most selfish thing to say. You know nothing about other people's circumstances.

Really. What circumstances would prevent someone from waiting until the last day? I've been overseas during tax season, a multiple-property owner with a ton of deductions, I've had taxes involving investments, inheritance, gifts, donations and even lottery winnings. I think the the most complicated tax return I ever had involved over 20 different IRS forms. Plus I have friends who fall into every tax category imaginable. None of us have ever had to wait until the last day. You can file for an extension long before the last day if you feel you need more time.

Other than simple procrastination, describe to me what possible situation(s) would have to take place for someone to wait 3 1/2 months until the very last day, the very last minute to file their taxes.

Last edited:

That is the most selfish thing to say. You know nothing about other people's circumstances.

Really. What circumstances would prevent someone from waiting until the last day? I've been overseas during tax season, a multiple-property owner with a ton of deductions, I've had taxes involving investments, inheritance, gifts, donations and even lottery winnings. I think the the most complicated tax return I ever had involved over 20 different IRS forms. Plus I have friends who fall into every tax category imaginable. None of us have ever had to wait until the last day. You can file for an extension long before the last day if you feel you need more time.

Other than simple procrastination, describe to me what possible situation(s) would have to take place for someone to wait 3 1/2 months until the very last day, the very last minute to file their taxes.

You say you are a multiple property owner. Here as well. Do you have a wife or an ex-wife? Do you have a wife who decides to file single without telling you, leaving you holding a tax bill of several thousand because she enjoys causing you difficulty? It's the easiest thing in the world to sit and criticize others when you don't have to navigate the same waters as they do. Each persons circumstances are unique. A bit of empathy may be in order. Or perhaps that isn't something you excel in. An extension doesn't give you more time to pay. I assume you are aware of that. Maybe people wait because they have full-time jobs and are single parents raising their kids and don't have much spare time to finish taxes until they have to. Whatever, don't really care why you feel people who wait until the final day to give the government money they themselves earned are, in your words, "getting what they deserve" , but sorry, I don't enjoy holier-than-thou speeches when you have no clue as to what problems others may be dealing with.

It sounds to me like you are speaking from a position of privilege. If you haven't realized this by now, 78% of Americans are living paycheck to paycheck. It takes two parents working to make 15% less in a year now than a single parent did in the 1960s.

https://www.cnbc.com/2017/08/24/most-americans-live-paycheck-to-paycheck.html

In addition, spare time have obviously decreased. You tell me how easy it is to do your taxes when you just came back from a double shift paying 12/hour and have to feed your kids.

You are likely in the top 5% income wise in America, show a little compassion.

Those who know how money really works know that the U.S. income tax is the biggest fraud in the history of the concept of fraud, and those who don't think that people who say this are conspiracy theorists.

The Federal Reserve: The privately owned (non-government) institution robbing the U.S. people since 1913. It took a constitutional amendment to grant them the power to defraud the entire country, and unfortunately it'll take another one to remove said power.

Fun fact: Most people think their income taxes go to something useful, but really the lion's share of it goes to pay off merely the interest of the total debt owed by the government to the Federal Reserve. Banks own this country, and so long as money rules politics, it'll stay that way.

^A lot of studies have proven this to be mostly true.

Anyways, for those people that did wait until the last day, that's Murphy's Law for ya...

I'm siding with the privileged few that can do their taxes early, early, early ...... of course, being retired and having no taxable income does make a little difference ..... and I do live from paycheck to paycheck too!

I wait to file taxes until other changes have been made. I getting my refund back as well. We all desire a break in taxes with all the deductions we have to offer. Energy Saving Electric Car Windows/Doors Hurricane, Work Hazard Clothing, Giving your stuff away, Property Taxes etc.. Why can't I get on these deals sure I did! I do my own taxes and use app to do it. I am not sitting try to get crazy doing taxes. Green for Refund, Red to Owe..

Back