Is constant wireless charging the answer to our battery woes?

By Shawn Knight
Jan 9, 2015
Post New Reply
  1. Wireless charging technology has made great strides over the past few years but truth be told, we're still waiting for a practical implementation to emerge. A company by the name of Energous believes they may have just that and they're...

Read more
  2. Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez TS Enthusiast Posts: 31

I would like to know how bad this will be for a battery's total life. Constantly charging anything has always proven to be worse for the battery than letting the battery cycle through at least 60% before charging again.
  3. hahahanoobs

hahahanoobs TS Evangelist Posts: 1,605   +412

It could be bad. Every time I read about batteries I hear something different. I just go with a couple "tips" that don't inconvenience me, and so far I've yet to have a battery in a good phone (not low budget) deteriorate to the point I could notice.

Also, it helps if you don't use the (1A-2A) charger that comes with your phone because of heat it causes, so as long as this charger isn't that high it should be ok. I've started using 500mA charging ports more after hearing that, and use my standard 2A charger when I really need it.
    Last edited: Jan 10, 2015
  4. I feel very strange to say this, like I am the only one that sees the elephant in the room --
    is it really a good idea to have several high energy microwave beams aimed at our devices? because the devices tend to be in places adjacent to... us! this seems like a nice way to fry our bodies... or rather bake our bodies in our own homes, or at work
  5. Invizibleyez

Invizibleyez TS Enthusiast Posts: 31

Melt away the pounds! People generally don't care about their health as long as they are skinny! This product is clearly SOLID GOLD!
  6. Kibaruk

Kibaruk TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,433   +473

Yeah I was thinking in the health side too, how safe is to have beams of energy going around the house and into your pocket or whatnot?
  7. As if cell phone towers and more and more powerful cell phones radiation is not enough.

This is besides Bluetooth, WiFi, other custom connectivity signals from all devices in every day place.
  8. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,689   +395

This may be of some interest to you guys:

So its generally harmless, although there is some concern for microwave and mm-length waves.