Is employee monitoring effective?

bluejolls

What do you think whether employee monitoring is efffective? If yes, what tools do you use and what are their benefits?

Depends upon your goals. In secured locations with on-going "secret" work (eg: JPL, CIA), it's just flat required. With news of major bank's misbehavior and lack of ethics - - some 3rd party would seem beneficial. Otherwise, IMO, it's an exercise to ensure non-abuse of the company resources (aka the net) and not content monitoring per se.

I guess it depends on the company, too, as well as whether you are satisfied with your employees work results. If it is a smaller IT company, you most likely have a family like friendly atmosphere where the employees simply enjoy working and being part of an awesome team. In that case, I don't think it makes any sense. But to me it also raises certain privacy concerns. I mean is it ethical at all to watch someone without their knowledge or consent? Even if a worker seems to waste too much time on social media which begins to be detrimental to his or her job quality, wouldn't you warn them or inform them first?

Back