Is it ok having two different brand of memory?

Status
Not open for further replies.

paul05

i have a crucial 512mb 184pin 3200..im planing to buy another memory for my cpu to make it 1gb....but i saw a kingston 1gb(2x512mb) 184pin 3200..at a low price...is it ok if i have different brand for my memory slot?

My Ram is a 256 and a 512 combination with two different brands, it seems to work fine. Just make sure the mhz (333, or whatever) are the same and its the same PC rating (like 2700).(correct me someone if i'm wrong)

With faster memory matched modules are to be preferred. That is not to say differing makes work, providing they're the correct speed.

It's risky using different memory manufactures; sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. It's possible that it will not work even when all the specs are identical and it's even possible that it will work when the specs are slightly mismatched. I ran a system with one module slower than the other and it ran fine. I've also put modules with identical specs, but different manufactures in a system and it didn't run (or wasn't stable). All you can do is try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back