Is it possible to remove the Windows XP login screen?

By tyleronline
Mar 4, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hey Guys, was wondering if anyone knows how to remove the blue win. XP login screen? Can it actually be done? I only have one login account on my computer and will never need anymore than that or require a password so the login screen is useless to me. Can i remove it or bypass it in some way? Regards Will
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Click start/control panel/user accounts.

Click on "change the way users log on or off".

Make sure "use the welcome screen" is ticked. Untick "use fast user switching". Click apply options.

Regards Howard :)
  3. tyleronline

tyleronline Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 93

Those are the settings that I allready had! I tried every combination and I still cant get rid of the my logon screen. Any ideas? Regards
  4. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso Newcomer, in training Posts: 25,948   +17

Take a look HERE, for alternative ways to do this.

Regards Howard :)
  5. tyleronline

tyleronline Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 93

Hey Howard sorry for the slow reply, It worked first time! I just did the first method of running control password 2 and now it's great. So thanks for solving my problem your a star. Regards
  6. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 Newcomer, in training Posts: 484

If you are talking about just going straight to your desktop when you boot up your computer it should just do it if there is not password on your admin account and if you go in to User Accounts under the Control Panel and making sure that the Guest account it turned off. Ever comptuer that I have installed Windows XP on and I did that goes straight to the desktop.

Hope that helps.
  7. fgaliegue

fgaliegue Newcomer, in training Posts: 54

It's possible of course, but is a FUNDAMENTALLY BROKEN THING TO DO. Only one account on WinXP means an admin account. Yeah, right, this means that you're open to any existing virus out there should you just not pay attention for a single minute. Once is enough.

Create a normal user account, be it unprotected by a password, but leave your administrator account password-protected and alone unless you really need it. If you don't have a password, just clicking on the name will make you jump straight to the desktop.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.