is it possible to see users who are using my wireless network?

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrispudge

is it possible to see users who are using my wireless network? just to make sure no bastards are steeling off me lol

It's easy enough to do. Browse over to your router, Under the setup screen, click on DHCP and there should be a button to "view DHCP clients" and that will tell you whos on, at least if you're on a linksys. Other routers normally all have some variation.

This will tell you who has asked for an IP address.
Some routers offer you a view of all active connections - this will show you who is using the internet at a given time.

A better way to ensure the bastards are not using your network is to set up proper security. Use strong encryption, good passwords and require the registration of MAC addresses to have a top-notch secure wireless network.

There is a really cool program called ethereal. You can get it at ethereal.com. You'll also need to download winpcap which is offered on the same site. You can capture all of the traffic going through your network and see the source and destination ip address of each packet.

Our problem is with wireless here.
There are tools for wireless packet sniffing but those work only with adapters that support promiscuous mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back