TechSpot

Is my hard drive bad?

By icestrike9
Mar 4, 2004
  1. Ok i have this western dig hard drive that i put win xp on in jan. and i have not used it at all since then. I go to use it now and it makes a sound like it reads the disk but only louder and more high piched. ALso the pc does not read that it is conected to the pc. Is it bad ?

2. SNGX1275

SNGX1275 TS Forces Special Posts: 10,714   +397

Yes.

3. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

I agree, check the connections, making sure both the power connector and the IDE cable are properly connected, if possible try another IDE cable. I have found that many times a faulty cable can make a drive act like it is dying.
    Have a look here as well http://www.techspot.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=7602

4. icestrike9

icestrike9 TS Rookie Topic Starter

I have used two ide cabels and nothing but even with out them and only with power it still dose nothing

5. icestrike9

Do you thinck the Warranty would cover this? and it makes a clicking sound now

6. StormBringer

StormBringer TS Rookie Posts: 2,244

if its under warranty the yes.
    I would recommend running WD's drive diagnostic utility though, or attempting to.

7. lowman

lowman TS Rookie Posts: 380

Definitely run a diagnostin utility on it...and check disk administrator to see if XP has any status displayed on the drive (when you installed it, I take it you formatted it successfully etc?)

8. icestrike9

well the pc dose not detect the drive so i can not run a check. So i will just use the warranty.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.