Is my Hard Drive going to die soon?

By The_Watcher_911
Nov 22, 2005
  1. I have a Maxtor 30gig hard drive. About 2 weeks ago it started making this clicking sound whenever I reset or every so often while I am using the computer & when that happens you know you are in trouble. However I opened up the cpu tower and there was a lot of dust. I got rid of the dust, unplugged the hard drive and plugged it back in. The hard drive worked fine again.

A couple days later, running multiple apps took a while to execute and daily functions were a bit slower than usual. Even running winamp & minimizing the box the song would jolt and stutter for a second. I ran scandisk and it found no errors or bad sectors of any sort & there is no spyware on my system. My computer also goes to virtual memory faster than usual. So any ideas as to why this is happening & should I be acquiring a new hard drive soon?

The following is just a comment really.........
    On another note I bought a Maxtor 20gig hard drive long before the 30 gig one & one day I got bad sectors and my system was slow & just became a mess. I made this drive a slave drive and it works perfectly again & has no bad sectors of any kind. Is it just me and my bad luck with Maxtor Hard Drives? I thought they were good.
  2. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

get yourself out and buy a seagate retail has 5 yr warranty
    load the seagate disc wizard utility and copt to the new drive
    remove old drivre replace with seagate ,boot good for over 5 yrs of surfing, gaming
    maxtor disc is ready to fail
  3. Nodsu

Nodsu TS Rookie Posts: 5,837   +6

Go and download the Maxblast utility from Maxtor. Test your drive.

No matter what Samstone says, hard drives from all brands die. And when your new shiny X brand HD croaks after two months then it is little consolation to know that the odds of this happening were less than using brand Y drive.
  4. Samstoned

Samstoned TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,018

of course they do thats a gimmy.
    always backup. I just support Seagate as the best of all the drives as far as I'm concerned and there software never let me down.
    I have got 7 year old scsi's and 4 yr old ide's all seagate all going tough and I beat the H***LL out of them
    not to say I haven't fixed and tossed out a few, either.

good luck what ever you purchase,but I would do it soon
  5. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 2,404

My last maxtor was an 80gb, and it clicked a lot. It was a hard, Ka-CLICK type of clicking that happend during boot up or opening new applications. Whenever I reinstalled windows it would fix the problem for a month or so, then start up again.

Powermax software found no errors, but Maxtor still agreed to replace it. The new one had the same problems, heavy clicking. I used the computer for a year like that, and it kept on working for me. Sold the computer just last summer to a friend, and it is still working for him.

The mystery Maxtor click.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.