Is my USB supposed to fry everything I put in it? :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just got a new mother board and when ever I put a USB device (512 memory stick) it does nothing. XP reconized it but does nothing about it. It dosen't pop up as a drive and I can't access anything. Here come's the scary part. I start to smell it burning! Basically I just lost $200 worth of memory sticks and a expensive USB card reader. They don't work anymore and all my valuable information is destoryed. They no longer work on my other computer. It said that the device is destoryed.

What the hell am I doing wrong?

How do I fix this problem besides buying a new mother board?

can someone please help me. Thanks!! :blackeye:

Sounds like 1 or 3 things:

1) There is something inside the USB contact that is causing a short
2) The USB controller on the motherboard is defective (unlikely)
3) The USB front panel header was connected incorrectly (likely)

zephead said:
what motherboard was it?

It's an Abit NF7 series.

Soul Harvester, I have a feeling that I might of connected it wrong. I'll double check again. The front panel USB has ground wires. There not connected, can that be a problem? I notice my old motherboard didn't have that connected and it worked fine. Thanks for the feedback, I'll double check again. :D

Oh I forgot to mention that I have a AMD Sempron. I know that has nothing to do with the USB problem. Please don't make fun of me because I use a Sempron. What can I say I'm really poor and broke.

I have seen headers wired wrong from factory
this would seem to be the likely problem
should always use ground when possable

Yes, you should always ground. However, do not mistake ground for the extra "Key" pin (the 5th pin) on a USB header. This is not something you need to nor should connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back