Is SLI really needed?

HiDDeNMisT

In the new rig im building I have the Crosshair V from asus and a AMD 1090T Black Edition Hexa-core. I am going to have about 8-12 GB's of RAM depending on price.

Now I am mostly a gamer. If I get a High end card is there really a need for me to go SLI?

Im Not sure if I should do it or not.

Along the line of what Blkfx1 said - get yourself a single 670. If you're not satisfied get another later, but I bet you'll be pretty happy with just 1.

Well it depends what card you have, what resolution you play at and what games you play.

In general I would say SLI/CF is not worthwhile unless you're going for a top end 680 SLI/7970 CF build because a more powerful single card always beats a midrange SLI/CF setup when it comes to drivers, microstutter, power and heat.

Don't get the 2.5GB version of the GTX 570, the chip simply isn't powerful enough to utilise anywhere near 2.5GB. At single screen resolutions the 1.25GB GTX 570 will perform virtually the same while costing $70 less.

But if you're willing to spend $320 on a graphics card then save up a bit more and get the GTX 670, it's definitely worth the price premium.

Sli as a motherboard option is always a nice way to nearly double your current framerate in (most) games.

.....And gpu prices will have dropped by the time you will actually need more horsepower than a single 570. @1080 p :)

670 is also a great suggestion.

If I get a High end card is there really a need for me to go SLI?
A SLI Configuration will result in more heat and power draw and can be inefficient depending on the cards you intend to pair. Some may not deliver the same level of performance.

Unless you can't afford a single high-end card, I wouldn't recommend going the SLI way. Get a good high-end card instead. Save up a little and you can buy the best card there is. AMD has some pretty good single-card solutions.

Back