Is socket 478 abandoned now?

Status
Not open for further replies.
It wouldn’t be beneficial to produce a processor for a socket that out of date... besides if you do have a 478 you should consider upgrading. With the price cut on processors coming very soon, then would be a good time to do so.

Chip companies, like software companies have lifecycles for their products. After a while, the product line is stopped. There are no more upgrades. Eventually the line is phased out to make room for newer lines. This is good and bad. The good thing is you can get cheap chips from resellers and auction houses like ebay. Also the chips are fully mature and usually all the bugs are worked out and/or identified. The bad thing is that they're phased out with no manufactuer support.

wallabing said:
Is 478 like completly abandoned now?
not completely, but close to it.

what do you mean the only ones available are celeron Ds and 2 P4's???

you can still buy whatever was made for it as long as stores still stock it. newegg sells dual cored CPUs for socket-478 (although I'm not an intel guy so i couldn't tell you what chipsets are needed to run it). see it here

Not yet, since Socket 478 is cheap and fast are best for budget. LGA775 is starting to grow and more cheaper. I guess sooner INTEL will abandon S478.

KingCody said:
not completely, but close to it.

what do you mean the only ones available are celeron Ds and 2 P4's???

you can still buy whatever was made for it as long as stores still stock it. newegg sells dual cored CPUs for socket-478 (although I'm not an intel guy so i couldn't tell you what chipsets are needed to run it). see it here

I think the cpu that was linked to was actually a socket 479 cpu (the intel laptop socket) mislabled. But maybe they did make some core duos in 478 format?

Edit:
I'm almost certain that even if the core duo/solo cpus are physically the same socket type a a 478 pentium 4, that they still wouldn't work in a motherboard that wasn't designed for them(basically all 478 boards). Also, if you search newegg for motherboards that support core solo/duo, then it returns socket 479 motherboards.
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...&description=&srchInDesc=&minPrice=&maxPrice=

I think you're right, they probably are 479.

asus makes a 478 to 479 adapter card to use socket 479 pentiumMs in desktop PCs. it will run on:
Name - BIOS version
P4P800 SE - BIOS 1008
P4P800-VM - BIOS 1016
P4P800-E Deluxe -BIOS 1007
P4C800-E Deluxe - BIOS 1021
P4GD1 - BIOS 1005
P4GPL-X - BIOS 0205
asus_board.jpg

I don't know if it will allow the core duos to work the same way though.

bushwhacker said:
Not yet, since Socket 478 is cheap and fast are best for budget. LGA775 is starting to grow and more cheaper. I guess sooner INTEL will abandon S478.
Uh, how am I supposed to interpret that sentence?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back