Is the home PC becoming a first person shooter box?

PC games...

• PC's games are quickly becoming FPS terminals

Votes: 6 35.3%
  • PC's have a huge variety of different game types, your just a fps nutter Arris!

Votes: 11 64.7%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Arris

I know that the game I still spend most time playing is Counter-strike. Recently I have been playing Project Eden and a little of Commandos2. Commandos2 isn't a first person shooter and Project Eden is similar to one but with puzzles, switching team members and third and first person views.
The other games that I have played on PC recently are:
  • Alien VS Predator2
  • Return to Castle Wolfenstein
  • Medal Of Honor : Allied Assault
When I get back to the UK from working here in Milan I will probably update CS to Beta 1.4, Buy Global Operations and maybe try out C&C:Renegade... Anyone spot a pattern here?

Thats why I want to ask peoples opinions about the future of PC gaming. Are the types of games being released on the PC tending towards fps only? With classic real time strategy games like Command & Conquer offering fps titles I really am beginning to wonder. I know there are still games out there that aren't fps but the majority do seem to be. Are game developers feeding off of man's natural instinct to prove ones self in combat against others? My minds beginning to drift now so I'll leave you all with this to think about ;)

No, it isn't becoming a FPS box but it has been one ever since I got WolfenStein! ;) Indeed there are other games to look into. My friend just told me about Star Trek Bridge Commander and it looks really cool. That's not a FPS ;)

Unfortunately, I stll fall back to FPS games no matter how nice other games from other genres are. If there aren't any new FPS games, it's back to DOOMGL!

I think I would say that my box is turning into a multipurpose FPS machine. :) I use it for all sorts of FPS games. RTCW, MOH, SS1, SS2, CS. That is just my personality though, I don't really get into those C&C games, but I think I might give them a shot.
I generally dont' play these games very often, but they do seem to be where the majority of my HD goes. :( I could be using it for real things like the schoolwork, but NOPE!

The PC needs more platformer-type games like Mario and put some good use to those control pads and that serial terminal on the back of soundcards.

Dont feel alone at all Arris. My rig is fitted with every major FPS out right now. I am playing through the old ones and getting ready to play the new ones. There does seem to be so many FPSs released lately for the PC. Hopefully titles like Never Winter Nights, War Craft III, and Icewind Dale 2 will offer some variety. There's a new platformer coming out as well. Its Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. I wouldnt mind playing a Fallout 3 if they ever make it either. And those MMOG's out too. Asherons Call, Everquest, and DAOC. And of course there are the Sim Games and thier addons for another type. There are so many other games of different genres that I cant name em all hehe

I don't think it is becoming an FPS platform either. Think of Morrowind, that looks really sweet.

Also, MMORPG are still insanely popular. I myself being and EQ addict, and with 400,000 people playing everquest, it is very popular. Also, the new EQ expansion pack, Luclin, sold over 100,000 copies on the first day! There are also several other online games like WWII, Camelot, and AO.

Also, what about Dungeon Siege? Hopefully, that will be a serious contender in GOTY for 2002, and I can't wait for it!

I don't really get into those C&C games, but I think I might give them a shot.

I remember when C&C: Red Alert was hot a few years back, I was watching my friends playing a multiplayer game in a cybercafe. I literally fell asleep watching them play. Not sure why, perhaps the action just ain't there compared to Quake /Duke Nukem at that time :D

Originally posted by Ravellidar
Hopefully titles like Never Winter Nights, War Craft III, and Icewind Dale 2 will offer some variety. There's a new platformer coming out as well. Its Duke Nukem Manhattan Project. I wouldnt mind playing a Fallout 3 if they ever make it either. And those MMOG's out too. Asherons Call, Everquest, and DAOC. And of course there are the Sim Games and thier addons for another type. There are so many other games of different genres that I cant name em all hehe

Yeah. I'd even considered reinstalling Baldur's gate 2 for a change. I haven't tried many MMOG RPG games apart from Legend Of Mir which used a third person Baldur's gate type view.

As for joypads on PCs for other types of games, I just don't feel comfortable with a joypad in my had sitting at my desk infront of my PC. It feels weird.
I am fine with a mouse or joystick but the joypad feels wrong.
Maybe its just because I last used a joypad to play Mortal Combat on my first PentiumI 75Mhz PC ;)
Also I don't know when I last played any game that would utilise a joypad!

there was a time, if i remember, that the computer was nothing more than a RTS rig. worse than that, they're all a bunch of DuneII and WCII clone and wannabes. i was so sick of it i spent all my life building a mall in Sim Tower :D
now, though it may be a FPS box, i still think the FPS games offered these days are far better than the RTS games in those days.
of course, i want sth more than just kill da 4L13nZ. i, myself, am more of a RPG person. i just don't play too many RPGs on the PC cause i don't like the AD&D's battle system.

Originally posted by Ai Hate
there was a time, if i remember, that the computer was nothing more than a RTS rig. worse than that, they're all a bunch of DuneII and WCII clone and wannabes. i was so sick of it i spent all my life building a mall in Sim Tower :D
now, though it may be a FPS box, i still think the FPS games offered these days are far better than the RTS games in those days.
of course, i want sth more than just kill da 4L13nZ. i, myself, am more of a RPG person. i just don't play too many RPGs on the PC cause i don't like the AD&D's battle system.

I used to play an online mud/rpg, was pretty addicted to it. If there was a non pay to play MMORPG that was as good as balder's gate and Final Fantasy I would probably be playing that instead of Counter-strike.

Originally posted by Ai Hate
oh yes... pay for play MMORPGs sucks...

Sony's Everquest.....
Got given a purchased copy of that to try by someone who is very deeply into RPG AD&D games. He bought it without realising that it was Pay to Play.

I suppose Pay To Play MMORPGs aren't that bad if the playing universe is constantly being developed... But if its static then its a rip off!... :evil:

There is a huge variety of PC games to choose from, but most of them are old. In the last few weeks I've only played some card games while waiting cd-recording to finish :).

personal im packing it all in right now for the traditional friday lan party (MOHAA, Quake 3, HL & mods, codename eagle, RTC wolfienstein) and i must say that most new games are FPS's due to the populatuity of it, and im all for it.

p.s. has anyone here created a HL mod they would like to share?

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli
There is a huge variety of PC games to choose from, but most of them are old. In the last few weeks I've only played some card games while waiting cd-recording to finish :).

Card games as in UNO? Darn, I really miss that game :(

Originally posted by Arris
Sony's Everquest.....
Got given a purchased copy of that to try by someone who is very deeply into RPG AD&D games. He bought it without realising that it was Pay to Play.

I suppose Pay To Play MMORPGs aren't that bad if the playing universe is constantly being developed... But if its static then its a rip off!... :evil:
i would consider playing it if:
the game costs $5
costs $3/month to play
I have fast connection
:p

Originally posted by Mictlantecuhtli

KDE & Gnome patiences + GNUChess (ok, it's not a card game ;)). I haven't seen Spider Solitaire for Linux or BeOS.

Spider Solitaire is there in Linux. It's in one of the games that comes bundled with KDE. The card game actually has a LOT of "game modes" to choose from. Can't remember the name though.

Originally posted by Arris
Eeek :eek:
Looks like I might just be an FPS addict..

Well I disagree, I do see alot of variety out there but also I am strongly with you Arris, I do like my FPS's. I also have several racing sim's and strategy games but only to play in between the last year and this year FPS's....

Originally posted by boeingfixer
Well I disagree, I do see alot of variety out there but also I am strongly with you Arris, I do like my FPS's. I also have several racing sim's and strategy games but only to play in between the last year and this year FPS's....

Don't get me wrong I play other non FPS games.
I play GT3, Jak & Daxtar, SSX Tricky, Summoner, MGS2 and others on PS2. Just about every PS2 game I have is non FPS. Its solely the PC that I play too much FPS on. Hence why to me its becoming a FPS box (that can do word processing, spreadsheets etc. and web browsing). Generally I play FPS until a PS2 game comes out that I want :) Then its half and half.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back