Is there an upgrade for the Geforce 6150SE card?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Richard41

Hello,

Just following up, is there any upgrade available for the 6150SE card at all?

My Specs:

Acer (Dreaded T-180) Aspire
Nvidia GeForce 6150SE 430 Video Card
2 Gigs of Ram (upgrade; going to 3 or 4 max)
2.40 GHz
Windows 8 Ultimate Pro Zx
32 bit

I realize my 250 watt PSU, and small case have a factor in deciding what card to choose.

Is there any video card I can upgrade too for this system? I also know the mother board can only support so much PSU wattage before frying out. Any help will be much appreciated. I saw a few cards on Newegg.com that where 250 watt compatible, but I didn't know if I would just be beating a dead horse.

Thanks,

Rich

I'll take that as a no. I know The Acer T-180 is a throw away computer, but it works pretty good with the Ram upgraded and Windows 8. The video card is weak, bad. Trying to find a video card that can be upgraded. That may not happen due to PSU/motherboard issue. I'll definitely remember these points when buying a new computer in the future.

Thanks

The T180 does have a PCI-Ex16 slot as far as I know. So there are many choices of video card depending on your budget. You will also have to change your PSU though.

I'll take that as a no. I know The Acer T-180 is a throw away computer, but it works pretty good with the Ram upgraded and Windows 8. The video card is weak, bad. Trying to find a video card that can be upgraded. That may not happen due to PSU/motherboard issue. I'll definitely remember these points when buying a new computer in the future.

Thanks
What exactly is "Windows 8"......?

My apologies. It's Vista Ultimate

Is there any video cards compatible with a 250 watt PSU that will offer an increase in graphics? How can I found out how much wattage I can upgrade the PSU to without frying the motherboard? I need a minimum 300 watt PSU to even make an upgrade work. Buying a new med/high end computer will definitely solve this issue.

Well you can't fry a motherboard by just upgrading a PSU the right way. However, as Rit has earlier asked you to let us know what y our budget is for this upgrade of graphics, only then we will be in much better position to help you. Regards

Well you can't fry a motherboard by just upgrading a PSU the right way. However, as Rit has earlier asked you to let us know what y our budget is for this upgrade of graphics, only then we will be in much better position to help you. Regards

The cheapest possible way. I don't see spending more than $50.00. What are the options? That will better tell us what the budget is. Newegg should have something to upgrade with for the right price.

I'm trying to find a card that is compatible with a 250 watt PSU and will give even a little bit more enhanced graphics.

Thanks

You could look at the Radeon HD 4650. It's about $50. However, in no way is the card going to help you play any high end games on decent settings.

A minimum 400W PSU is usually recommended.

Use this program to calculate your power requirement and then decide whether you need a PSU or not.

Just a question, but why exactly do you want in to go for this upgrade?

There's not a card that can be used with the PSU I currently have? Will my mobo handle the Antec BP350? Then I'll know what kind of card to get.

Hey Rit,

I'm playing cod 6 mw2 and the graphics lag. The graphics are pretty good, but the lag is terrible. It plays the game, just real slow sometimes. If I can upgrade all the hardware for a low cost, I'll put off buying a new higher end model for now.

I'm going to upgrade the harddrive to 320 or 500 Gig (160 Gig now), RAM to 3 Gig, and I guess a new PSU and a compatible video card. I wanted to get a tech's point of view on a few things before I made a move on anything though. Any info to steer me in the right direction will help. All I need is a card with a little more umph! that's all. Can it be done with my current specs? That 250W PSU is putting a damper on everything.

I found some 6xxx series cards that support a 250W PSU on newwegg (EVGA 256-A8-N401-LR GeForce 6200 256MB 64-bit DDR2 AGP 8X Video Card) for less than $40.00. I'll have to read the reviews to see which is the best bang for my buck. Probably won't help much, but anything higher than a 6150SE card should be an improvement.

Breaking away from an integrated card might help as well.

Thanks for your help.

If you want to spend money on another video card in this machine fine.

But you seem to have a long list of other devices you want to invest in this machine. If you have a computer that still has AGP graphics then the rest of the hardware is long obsolete also. the other things you mention won't help gaming one iota. I really suggest saving your money for a new machine.

I agree captain. I'm looking at a DIY kit on newegg. Athlon II X2 240/2GB DDR2/GT 220/750GB/HDMI MB Upgrade Ki with an Antec box and a Antec 650watt PSU; and then I'll upgrade the RAM if need be. My computer is three years old now and isn't a bad machine, it's just not a gamer. Pretty much a descent Internet surfer. The above kit should do my wife and I just fine for years to come and all for less than $400.00.

Any thoughts?

I agree captain. I'm looking at a DIY kit on newegg. Athlon II X2 240/2GB DDR2/GT 220/750GB/HDMI MB Upgrade Ki with an Antec box and a Antec 650watt PSU; and then I'll upgrade the RAM if need be. My computer is three years old now and isn't a bad machine, it's just not a gamer. Pretty much a descent Internet surfer. The above kit should do my wife and I just fine for years to come and all for less than $400.00.

Any thoughts?
First the internet isn't very strenuous so a decent piece of hardware should continue to serve you for years. The bigger HDD can be foregone, since I would simply transfer any downloaded files, (after a thorough security scanning), to your other machine. I like to keep a battery of security programs installed on my internet box (ancient P-4 eMachines), but very little on others so as not to kill performance.

I'm not an AMD person so I can't speak to the CPU in your package, but I would suggest giving some serious thought to whether you want to use a 64 bit OS, in which case I would opt for 4 Gigs of RAM. 64 bit OSes seem to be coming into their own.

I would say that the HDMI on the mobo you have chosen is the ticket for getting video to the TV, but it is still integrated graphics. Just make sure that that board does, in fact, have a PCI-E X 16 lane for an add in video card. I have a Gigabyte Matx board that has the PCI-E long socket, but only runs at 4 times. No problem, I use the lane for a tuner, and then DVR and playback through the TV (I'm not a gamer).

red1776 put together a great guide for building a gaming PC with an eye toward price. You can see if it gives you any ideas; https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic133075.html

Thanks captain for sharing Red's post on building a gaming machine, it's going to be a huge step in the right direction. I would have probably spent a lot of unwanted money until I got the build right.

Thanks for the insight on my current machine. Food for thought nonetheless. I've decided to just upgrade the RAM in my Acer for now (to 3 Gig, 4 Gig max?), and then start building a gaming computer with Red's specs and expertise in mind.

Thanks again.

Well first, you're quite welcome.

But second and perhaps more importantly, if you're using a 32 bit OS, adding RAM to 4GB is a complete waste of time and money. At 3 GB in a 32 bit OS you've already bagged the limit, so to speak. At most about 3.25 GB would be recognized as "available RAM" and the difference between 3 and 3.25 is virtually nil. So, save your money for the new machine.

In fact with XP 32 bit, anything above 2GB is pretty much wasted

For a machine which you wont be using for any intensive applications; 3GB is enough, as 32bit OS can't utilize or see the whole of 4GB due to limit 2^32 puts on 32bit OS. So you may choose to have 4GB but you can't use it as explained below:

2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296
4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096

As far as 32 bit OS (XP/Vista/Win7) is concerned, the world ends at 4,096 megabytes. So we're limited to 4,096 megabytes of virtual address space on a 32 bit operating system. Could be worse, we could be back in 16 bit land ;)

Most of that address space is filled with RAM, but not all of it. Memory mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary.

Please note that, no matter what OS you use, upon POST everything is loaded/readied for 32bit OS; because the BIOS doesn't know which OS it is going to boot into.

Lastly, Best of Luck with regard to your adventure of building a new rig :D. Let us know if we could of any more help. Regards

For a machine which you wont be using for any intensive applications; 3GB is enough, as 32bit OS can't utilize or see the whole of 4GB due to limit 2^32 puts on 32bit OS. So you may choose to have 4GB but you can't use it as explained below:

2 ^ 32 = 4,294,967,296
4,294,967,296 / (1,024 x 1,024) = 4,096

As far as 32 bit OS (XP/Vista/Win7) is concerned, the world ends at 4,096 megabytes. So we're limited to 4,096 megabytes of virtual address space on a 32 bit operating system. Could be worse, we could be back in 16 bit land ;)

Most of that address space is filled with RAM, but not all of it. Memory mapped devices (such as your video card) will use some of that physical address space, as will the BIOS ROMs. After all the non-memory devices have had their say, there will be less than 4GB of address space available for RAM below the 4GB physical address boundary.

Please note that, no matter what OS you use, upon POST everything is loaded/readied for 32bit OS; because the BIOS doesn't know which OS it is going to boot into.

Lastly, Best of Luck with regard to your adventure of building a new rig :D. Let us know if we could of any more help. Regards
Dude, technically very complete, but perhaps a bit of overkill....:rolleyes: Good stuff though, great for dragging out when an OP doesn't believe you the first time you tell them a 32 bit OS won't show 4GBs of RAM :) I've streamlined the spiel whole bunch, now I just say, "well 2 to the 32nd power equals 4 Gigabytes, so there"!

Dude, technically very complete, but perhaps a bit of overkill....:rolleyes: Good stuff though, great for dragging out when an OP doesn't believe you the first time you tell them a 32 bit OS won't show 4GBs of RAM :)

Well I started writing that reply almost an hour+ ago (got bogged down in some stuff i needed to get done) so i didn't see what you said until i posted my reply; so it was bit of non-issue by that time.

You need to save that baby, then copy and paste it into stubborn memory posts, for "fast, fast, relief", as the old Excedrin commercials used to go. :wave: LMAO

lol, very well gentlemen. I may just stand pat with 2 Gigs like you say and put the money towards a new machine. My computer loads pretty quick upon login, I'd say about 3 to 5 seconds so I can't complain. I use FireFox as well. I think FF is a lot smoother and quicker than IE 7 or 8, IMHO.

Thanks for the info.

Will my mobo handle the Antec BP350? Then I'll know what kind of card to get.

A PSU will just supply the required power to the various components of your PC. So you can use any PSU (wattage equal to or above that required) on your motherboard.

However, as the Captain correctly suggested, you should look into a new system if you want to play any of the recent games.

If you tell us your maximum budget for the PC, we would be glad to give a few suggestions.

All the best. :)

Hey Rit,

I'd say less than $500.00 should build a descent gaming system from newegg. It's putting all the correct hardware together that's so laboring. I'm reading all I can though. I've got the Antec case and PSU picked out. Earthwatts EA650 and the Antec Three hundred illusion Black steel ATX mid tower case. I'm wanting to go with the AMD mobo (preference). I found the 785 and the 790GX to my liking and they had good reviews.

Keep in mind, I'm not trying to build the gaming computer of the decade, just a descent gamer. Those mobo's are probably overkill, but the price is right on the 700 series.

Any thoughts during this first stage?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back