Is this a defective battery?

Reachable

I don't know much about cell phones and have hardly used them. I'm in possession of a small phone with a 1500mAh battery. The battery seems to lose about 1% of its power every minute and would therefore likely be completely discharged within two hours of ordinary use. Is that crazy brief?

I don't know much about cell phones and have hardly used them. I'm in possession of a small phone with a 1500mAh battery. The battery seems to lose about 1% of its power every minute and would therefore likely be completely discharged within two hours of ordinary use. Is that crazy brief?

That is unusual. That's a lot of battery lost for a short period of time. I would suggest for you to have it looked into, to avoid any danger that this battery may cause.

All recharging batteries have a life expectancy. About a few years. Then they no longer hold much charge at all. How old is the battery?

If the battery is exposed to stress (high temperature, etc), this ages it like crazy. By design, unknown brandname batteries are unreliable. Made in China ones are unreliable, generally. Even the "reliable" ones sometimes are sometimes faulty.

The phone's history is a mystery to me. I've had it for less than three months and it appeared to be new when I got it. Everything legal and legit, but entry level. Battery made in China. I think I'll not look a gift horse in the mouth and work around the limitations. Thanks to those who replied.

The key to battery life (regardless of what it powers) is to reduce feature usage to a minimum:
  • turn off WiFi & Bluetooth until you need them
  • reduce notification usage
  • change email from Push to Fetch
  • reduce data types being saved to Cloud or Dropbox

All recharging batteries have a life expectancy. About a few years. Then they no longer hold much charge at all. How old is the battery?

If the battery is exposed to stress (high temperature, etc), this ages it like crazy. By design, unknown brandname batteries are unreliable. Made in China ones are unreliable, generally. Even the "reliable" ones sometimes are sometimes faulty.

Well said but also checking what are the apps that are draining your phone counts very high on drainage use. Firewall that can advice you of the overpower use from the apps is useful. Some phone provide Maintenance mode that enable you to remove excessive background services that can be stopped or at least make you aware of what is turning on. Not all Chinese batteries are the problem. More likely is online apps trying to beacon home more information and wears your phone. If your feeling comfortable by changing your battery then change it, else look into the power draining you phone. Also some phones provide the device maintenance where you can place the phone in Mid or Max power saving mode like Samsung Galaxy 6. I'm sure there are other phones with similar features. Buy the best before you spend on poor performance device, answers are RESEARCH, RESEARCH, RESEARCH. Hope this help answer. Later!

I bought a replacement battery for this. The new battery seemed to drain at pretty much the same rate as the old battery. It failed very quickly. I'm back to using the old battery.

A cell phone is not that important a part of my life, so I'm not overly concerned. Now that I know it's the phone and not the particular battery I can just proceed accordingly. The article linked to by Sam looks useful.

All batteries work worse after some time, but your case is crazy..
You'd better change your battery ASAP and charge your phone using only native charger.

Back