and mid tower case

all so far for like $560
    is that good? :suspiciou
  2. paul05

paul05 Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 85

btw

oh and i forgot to mention a big 17 in. non-flatable
    and keyboard with mouse

Is there other recommendation out there that I should buy/add on?
  3. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

i tihink thats prety good but if you w wnaa play some games id get 1gb of r ram and a little bigger hard drive
  4. paul05

ic

does it work for doom3? will it run fine?
  5. swker98

swker98 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,348

i would check the doom 3 web site for that info
  6. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

Yes it will run doom 3, but to make it alot smoother up the RAM to 1gb. Watch out for Asrock MBs (sorry howard) they are notorious for problems.
  7. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

You didn't mention your power supply. What are you planning on popping in there to juice your system?

Just asking because cheap power supplies are nothing but headaches. Not that you have to get the most expensive one of course, there are some good deals out there. Just be sure to get one from a known, reliable maker (antec, enermax etc).
  8. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

You should get pc3200 ram instead of pc2700, pc2700 will be a bottleneck.
    1gb would be better too.
    Nvidia 6 series are decent for doom3.
    Here's a doom3 benchmark with a 6600 in it.
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20050524/vga_charts-07.html
    It looks like for 1024x768 and 1280x1024 w/o aa or af, it's a good card for the game.
    Be sure your 3000+ is a 939 pin model(not 754).
  9. paul05

rechecking my cpu

OK
    Ive put everything together and recheck what Ive have...few things changes
    I got:
    -a crucial ddr 400 3200 512mb
    -the power supply I got is 425watt from USA PC or PC USA which come with the case
    -and the graphic card of msi geforce 6600 256mb ( i did not see it on the benchmark)
    -DEC 16x dvdrw (no cd installation, runs great so far...) http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16827152047
    -some hard drive thats 40 gb 5400rpm and a western digital 5gb dont know the rpm...
    -amd 64 3000+ athlon 939
    -mother board ASROCK http://www.newegg.com/product/product.asp?item=N82E16813157081

Thats all i think... so far i got f-secure, micro antispyware, windvd 7, microsoft word 2003 pro, and graphic card install. Is there anything i left out to install on my SP2 PRo? i think i need a registry cleaner but i dont know any good one...

ANYTHING ELSE I SHOULD UPGRADE?
  10. paul05

btw...Ive read the benchmark for doom3 posted by vnf4ultra, and I'm thinking the better graphic card the better: the get the better the game run? the graphic is more smooth? or better frame?
    What does it mean anyway? for the graphic I'll be using for doom3? as the bar gets longer the graphic card is higher? Someone explain plz?
    thanks
  11. DonNagual

DonNagual TechSpot Ambassador Posts: 3,565

Those graphs linked by vnf4ultra are showing the frames per second on the varous cards, so the longer the bar, the smoother the gameplay. Also note that there are many different graphs for doom3. They are showing the different frame rates each card can put out at various game settings.

Nowadays the 6600GT is a good starting point for a card. If you want a mid-high end card get a 6800GT, and if you want something insane get the 7800 series.

12. lordxanthrax

lordxanthrax Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

:D i always think it's funny when friends of mine talk about cd burner drives, and are like, it didn't even need a cd to install! well, if it needed a cd to install...how would they have installed it, seeing as how what they're trying to install is what they'd use to install the cd from?
  13. vnf4ultra

vnf4ultra TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,195

Well, in the link I posted, the 6600 128mb gets 51.3 frames per second. I think somewhere about 30-40fps would be a starting point of a game running smoothly, so 51, would be pretty smooth.(If you have too slow of a card, the action in the game is more like a slide show, everything's jerky and like slow-motion). Also, doom3 is a game that uses a good bit of video memory so your card having 256mb would be of benefit in doom3.
  14. paul05

ram memory question

can someone explain me what differences is between ddr, ddr2, ddr3, and ddr4 ram? Is it the more higher the better it gets?
    Last thing I have in mind is that is it bad to mix up the memory on my motherboard? like now I have a crucial 512mb 184pin pc3200, is it ok to put in like 1 or 2X 512mb of Corsair in my motherboard?

Thanks
  15. pkroks

pkroks Newcomer, in training Posts: 376

the difference between ram is the speed of the ram... i don't think i have heard of ddr4 ram but ddr2 and ddr3 are best (as they are obviously fastest) :D
    If i were you i would return that 40Gb hdd and get at least a 80gb hdd at 7200rpm... 5400rpm will slow down the system and only 40gb, thats hardly enough space...
  16. lordxanthrax

lordxanthrax Newcomer, in training Posts: 34

actually dude, they've got gddr4 and they're in the works of gddr5 ram. Gonna go on video cards, like the current gddr3 on lots of them right now.
  17. C_Conqueror

C_Conqueror Newcomer, in training Posts: 217

I have heard that the power supplies that come with cases are very cheap so watch out and I would go for a geforce 6600 gt so you wont have to upgrade as soon.
  18. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

If i were you, id stay away from asrock
  19. paul05

why can't asrock be trusted? is there a problem to it? if so what is it?
    i bought it at newegg at 69.99...it have 3 pci slot, 1 agp slot, and 1 pci-express slot. So i was just go just the ok one...beside its for at home use. its not like im living alone. if i live alone then i'd have a totally diff one of course.
    i built this new one is because my brother tried to change the bios in the GQ(great quality) which he bought it at the store for like $200 and like about a year it was totally mess up. thats y

BTW the case that include the power supply is from the brand "Just PC" at $35.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.