Is this a good gaming rig? give suggestions on how to make it better

Luke Newey

I do not want to go over how much it costs now. Another thing I need to mention is that this is a black/blue themed pc.

image.jpg

What exactly is the Intel Devil's Canyon Bundle? From what I can tell it is not specific parts and can be any number of components. Everything else looks good though, just not sure about the bundle.

I'd wait a couple weeks since your HSF won't be available till then anyway and see if the price of the GPU drops due to the announcement/release of the 980. Also, like cliff said what exactly is that bundle?

I would cut back on some of the peripherals. Razer gear tends to be overpriced so I would maybe look into Logitech for things like the keyboard, mouse, and especially speakers.

As for the monitor, I would get a 60Hz monitor since the GTX 780 won't be able to put out a framerate to make the 144Hz monitor worthwhile.

I'd wait a couple weeks since your HSF won't be available till then anyway and see if the price of the GPU drops due to the announcement/release of the 980. Also, like cliff said what exactly is that bundle?
I agree. They are a month or two away so I would wait.

As for the monitor, I would get a 60Hz monitor since the GTX 780 won't be able to put out a framerate to make the 144Hz monitor worthwhile.
I'm not sure I agree here, who is to say the monitor will not last through several GPU generations. The next GPU upgrade might support 144Hz. And as far as putting out high frame rates, that all depends on the game and game settings. Besides the 144Hz display would better display the game, no matter what frame rate was being put out.

I'm not sure I agree here, who is to say the monitor will not last through several GPU generations. The next GPU upgrade might support 144Hz. And as far as putting out high frame rates, that all depends on the game and game settings. Besides the 144Hz display would better display the game, no matter what frame rate was being put out.
It supports it, definitely! I was just saying that the framerates may not be up to that level in the latest games at favorable settings. It is his choice in the end but I feel a 60Hz monitor will allow some of the budget to be diverted other places where it is more necessary :D.

I would say its a great machine setup based on what is available though I'm curious what is in the "Devils Canyon Bundle". I went and looked it up and it seems to contain an i5 4690K, MSI Gaming 3 Z97 Board, and 8gb Gskill sniper ram (1600). Very nice choices overall but I feel there are a few areas you can put money into to make more of a difference!

Based on that I can give you my personal advice on your system choices (Just advice, I cannot tell you what to buy):
1: To go with your color scheme might I suggest a different board? This board might match better with your system and gives you the option for SLI in the future along with being a very nice motherboard. MSI Z97-G55 SLI, depends if you really want the extra software/features of the gaming series. Some of it is good (I have a X99 Gaming 9) but some features do not really make a difference at least that I have seen.
2: If your gaming mostly it might make more sense to grab a higher resolution monitors over a high refresh monitor. Like instead a 2560x1440p because most games have trouble running at that high refresh anyways and it increases the chances of getting bad tearing in some games. Just a thought/opinion...
3: On your choice of GTX 780, if your going with a Black and Blue color scheme why not grab a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz edition. This card has a higher clock, 3 fan cooler, and will match your colors a lot more than red and black (Especially if you like the motherboard I suggested).
4: Skip on the aerocool fans if I were you and stick with corsair or others. I like them but I have had trouble with them.
5: The 750Watt PSU is a bit overkill for this machine unless you plan on running a second card in the future. You might be able to drop to a nice 550Watt if you want or something similar. Plus Seasonic are very modular and great for cable management!

Hope this helps!

Give me suggestions on some good monitors under $400 AUD.

And it would be likely that I would be getting the parts after December so I will be waiting for the 980 to come out and see if the price drops on the graphics card I chose.

Also if anyone knows anything about h440, would I be able to fit the Corsair Hydro H105 in because I think I might run into a few problems that I have heard of online with them not fitting in the h440.

I would say its a great machine setup based on what is available though I'm curious what is in the "Devils Canyon Bundle". I went and looked it up and it seems to contain an i5 4690K, MSI Gaming 3 Z97 Board, and 8gb Gskill sniper ram (1600). Very nice choices overall but I feel there are a few areas you can put money into to make more of a difference!

Based on that I can give you my personal advice on your system choices (Just advice, I cannot tell you what to buy):
1: To go with your color scheme might I suggest a different board? This board might match better with your system and gives you the option for SLI in the future along with being a very nice motherboard. MSI Z97-G55 SLI, depends if you really want the extra software/features of the gaming series. Some of it is good (I have a X99 Gaming 9) but some features do not really make a difference at least that I have seen.
2: If your gaming mostly it might make more sense to grab a higher resolution monitors over a high refresh monitor. Like instead a 2560x1440p because most games have trouble running at that high refresh anyways and it increases the chances of getting bad tearing in some games. Just a thought/opinion...
3: On your choice of GTX 780, if your going with a Black and Blue color scheme why not grab a Gigabyte GTX 780 Ghz edition. This card has a higher clock, 3 fan cooler, and will match your colors a lot more than red and black (Especially if you like the motherboard I suggested).
4: Skip on the aerocool fans if I were you and stick with corsair or others. I like them but I have had trouble with them.
5: The 750Watt PSU is a bit overkill for this machine unless you plan on running a second card in the future. You might be able to drop to a nice 550Watt if you want or something similar. Plus Seasonic are very modular and great for cable management!

Hope this helps!
I had a look at that motherboard and I was wondering wether ASrock has good motherboards cause they fit the theme. I have heard good and bad things so idk.

I want to get everything from Pccasegear so can someone find a good monitor that's $400 AUD at most that is from pccasegear. I will be playing games like DayZ, cs, battlefield so will I need graphically better or Hz better?

ASRock motherboards are ok. I recommend ASUS and Gigabyte. Also, I would look around at different sites to see if the prices are different since I found a Windows 8.1 OEM copy for $90 on Amazon vs the $115 you got from parts picker. Also, don't build a beastly PC and go cheap on the PSU. The power supply (PSU) is the backbone of the system and you need one that is reliable. I recommend the Corsair HX750. There are tons of good monitors under $400, check them out here. Keep in mind, all of the prices I am stating above may be different in AUD.

I had a look at that motherboard and I was wondering wether ASrock has good motherboards cause they fit the theme. I have heard good and bad things so idk.
Asrock is pretty darn good, I have actually started liking them better than gigabyte as of late due to bios issues. I now prefer MSI, Asus, and Asrock when it comes to boards at the moment.

That has got to be the first time, I have seen someone vote down Gigabyte from being top quality. I've seen mixed thoughts about the other three. But Gigabyte has always been in the preferred list. Maybe I'm just not reading the right forums for negativity against Gigabyte.

That has got to be the first time, I have seen someone vote down Gigabyte from being top quality. I've seen mixed thoughts about the other three. But Gigabyte has always been in the preferred list. Maybe I'm just not reading the right forums for negativity against Gigabyte.
Its because recently Gigabyte has had major problems with their BIOS's coming from the factory. I have run into many complaints and problems myself including a machine I built for someone and something a friend built himself with failing to boot, freezing when attempting to enter bios, and poor chip support. Good example was that the A10 7850K and 7700K was not supported by some of their FM2+ A88X boards (Which was the primary purpose of said chipset). Recently I have been hearing more issues on the new LGA 2011v3 Platform with bios issues as well not to mention the bios update system is problematic.

Normally they do resolve the issues but recently its become quite a chore to like gigabyte products because of said issues hence why I dropped them from being in my top 3. If your speaking strictly about board quality I still think they are excellent.

What I would do is replace some of the parts as it follows: mother board - asus sabertooth 990fx am3+; cpu - amd fx-8350 vishera 4,2ghz turbo eight-core; ram - 24gb (3x8gb) ddr3 1600mhz or better if you can find; power supply - corsair 750w active pfc; drop the led cable; and I guess the rest is pretty decent. again, this is what I would do to be satisfied :)

With the OP specifically saying a gaming rig I would stick with the intel parts. Sure, it's possible to get some decent performance out of that 8350 but without a lot of work and more money for serious cooling it'll get beat all day by any current i5/i7. 24GB is an unnecessary amount of RAM for gaming at this time and even 16 should be more than enough.

I am also looking at buying a good pre-built systems here are the specs.

System Components:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    514.9 KB · Views: 3
24GB is an unnecessary amount of RAM for gaming at this time and even 16 should be more than enough.

meh... you do know a lot more than I do and I would take your advice anytime but I said 24gb ram just as a precaution... I am finding my 8gb being seriously outmatched while I have chrome running in the background with a couple of tabs some being facebook games, Steam, yahoo messenger, bitdefender, football manager 14, vuze and counter strike.

so that's why I'm saying that a serious multitasking gamer needs some serious amount of ram.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am also looking at buying a good pre-built systems here are the specs.

System Components:
I would stick with your previous build at the processor and motherboard are not as good as your previous choices.

Stick with an Intel i5 as you will get the best gaming to buck experience from it and it will perform better than that FX 6300 processor.

Now as far as GPU's go you could swap around to AMD if you would rather because the 290 performs on par with a GTX 780 and the 290X is better while costing normally about the same. Though at this point I would even tell you if you can wait a bit longer to do so because a new series of cards is slated to be released soon which will change prices and add new choices to the run.

But if you must go now, I would say that build with the MSI Z97-G55 will serve you excellently!

Back