TechSpot

Is this a good pc and monitor? How much would you pay?

By N8N8N8
Jul 8, 2009
  1. Pentium quad-core Q6600 (e0) 2.4ghz CPU
    Gigabyte EP45-UD3R motherboard
    4GB G.Skill DDR2 RAM
    EVGA Geforce 9800GT 1GB
    Lite-On DVD burner
    Antec Three Hundred case w/ Antec Earthwatts 380W PSU
    Windows Xp 32bit
    HDD is a WD 500g SATA2 drive with 16mb cache

Ram is g.skill running at 333mhz 4,4,4,15 timing

Monitor
    Westinghouse 26" 1920x1200 monitor w/ HDMI

Thanks

Will this pc be fast and can handle alot of multitasking?

2. N8N8N8

N8N8N8 TS Rookie Topic Starter

Also would you suggest Vista 64bit or XP 32bit, performance wise

Ty

3. superTramp92

superTramp92 TS Rookie Posts: 26

I guess it depends on what you're going to be doing with it. There isn't much expandability with a 380 watt psu. And xp 32 bit is fine but you're not going to be able to utilize the complete 4 GB of ram (you can only use something like 3.6 GB of RAM max in xp-32 bit). Other than that it's a pretty good pc

4. Rage_3K_Moiz

Rage_3K_Moiz Sith Lord Posts: 7,290   +25

That PSU will most likely be a bit overloaded. I would recommend going with an EP43-UD3L for the motherboard, and getting an HD 4770 or HD 4850 instead of the 9800GT, along with a Corsair 450VX or a BFG LS-450 PSU.

Also, if you're going to be gaming, go with an AMD setup, and splurge on the video card instead, since it would best to have a card that can handle your monitor's native resolution. An HD 4870\4890 would be your best choice.

Do you have a budget? What's your location? Based on these, I can recommend specific parts for you, that will may likely give you a much faster PC for the same price.

As for the OS, use the Windows 7 RC for now, or get Vista Home Premium and grab an Windows 7 Upgrade Edition later when it releases. I would recommend the 64-bit flavor of either for 4GB or more RAM.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.