TechSpot

Is this a PSU issue or motherboard issue

By Sully
Feb 7, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. My PSU powers down it appears. After inital start up, all fans shut down, except CPU fan. It does not power up the hard drives. The motherboard is an Intel D945PSN with a P820 CPU. The PSU is an Ultra X-Finity.
  2. howard_hopkinso

howard_hopkinso TS Rookie Posts: 25,948   +19

My guess would be the psu. Especially since your ultra psu is known to be less than good quality.

Look at this article on psu`s. The psu thread.

This psu wattage calculator, may also be of use to you.

Regards Howard :)
  3. iss

iss TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 2,896

I agree with howard, what you are describing sounds like defective or underpowered PSU.
  4. Jimbo420

Jimbo420 TS Rookie Posts: 484

I am going to throw in my 2 cents and think that it is also the PSU. Also when trouble shooting the parts it is easier to just hook up another PSU with out taking anything out of the case to test with then switching out the motherboards.
  5. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Without any doubt, it´s your PSU. I just hope that your mobo is ok after that.
    When buying PSU´s, try choosing good, quality ones and specially, from known good manufacturers. Antec´s, Fortron´s and OCZ´s are very good and reliable units.
  6. Sully

Sully TS Rookie Topic Starter

I'm sending it back.

I'm going to replace it with a Silverstone Zeus Series 650.
  7. wolfram

wolfram TechSpot Paladin Posts: 2,605   +9

Good and VERY expensive choice. I think that you are going to have enough PSU for several years maybe.
  8. Sully

Installed the Silverstone but still having

the same problem as before. I have stripped it bare and still my SATA Hard drives will not boot up. These drives were in another system and work fine when they are in the other system.
  9. Sully

Definitely not the silverstone.

Everything powered up under my old system including the two SATA drives. Unless it can not provide enough power to this new system which has an msi 7800GT video card, Intel D945PSN and a P820 cpu instead of a ATI 9600, ASUS P4PVM-800 and P4 2.8 cpu. Everything else is the same with the two systems. The rest of the gear:

ATI HDTV Wonder
    PCI Modem
    Creative X-FI Platinum
    Plextor DVD-RW Dual layer drive
    6 fans
    Floppy drive
    2 SATA 160gb hardrives.
  10. Jimbo420

That could be the problem that you just don't have enough power. Just in Video cards alone you are have a much bigger need for power.

When you get the new power supply did you get the same voltage at the one you had before? What is the wattage of the new PSU?
  11. Sully

650 Watt power supply. The other was 600

I would think 650Watt supply would power all of the stuff.

12. g.freeman

g.freeman TS Rookie Posts: 51

no doubt id bet 650watts would power that easily

thatd my opinion
  13. Jimbo420

Yeah I would think that would be enough. Assuming that the PSU is working properly.
  14. Sully

After much testing

I booted the DVD-RW drive with XP installation disc. I believe XP sees the drives. I am going to attempt to format SATA drive and install a fresh copy of XP.
  15. AtK SpAdE

AtK SpAdE TechSpot Chancellor Posts: 1,846

a silverstone 650w PSU should power that no problem. They are a very very good brand. (not to say they never had a few bad PSUs in a batch)

So did you get a new motherboard?

If so, a reformat should be done
  16. Sully

SATA drive got corrupted.

I think this was the result of the bad ULTRA X-Finity. I've got an ide hard drive running the system right now so I can pull data off the corrupted drive and then I will reformat.
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.