Is this a PSU issue or motherboard issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
My PSU powers down it appears. After inital start up, all fans shut down, except CPU fan. It does not power up the hard drives. The motherboard is an Intel D945PSN with a P820 CPU. The PSU is an Ultra X-Finity.

I agree with howard, what you are describing sounds like defective or underpowered PSU.

I am going to throw in my 2 cents and think that it is also the PSU. Also when trouble shooting the parts it is easier to just hook up another PSU with out taking anything out of the case to test with then switching out the motherboards.

Without any doubt, it´s your PSU. I just hope that your mobo is ok after that.
When buying PSU´s, try choosing good, quality ones and specially, from known good manufacturers. Antec´s, Fortron´s and OCZ´s are very good and reliable units.

Good and VERY expensive choice. I think that you are going to have enough PSU for several years maybe.

Installed the Silverstone but still having

the same problem as before. I have stripped it bare and still my SATA Hard drives will not boot up. These drives were in another system and work fine when they are in the other system.

Definitely not the silverstone.

Everything powered up under my old system including the two SATA drives. Unless it can not provide enough power to this new system which has an msi 7800GT video card, Intel D945PSN and a P820 cpu instead of a ATI 9600, ASUS P4PVM-800 and P4 2.8 cpu. Everything else is the same with the two systems. The rest of the gear:

ATI HDTV Wonder
PCI Modem
Creative X-FI Platinum
Plextor DVD-RW Dual layer drive
6 fans
Floppy drive
2 SATA 160gb hardrives.

That could be the problem that you just don't have enough power. Just in Video cards alone you are have a much bigger need for power.

When you get the new power supply did you get the same voltage at the one you had before? What is the wattage of the new PSU?

After much testing

I booted the DVD-RW drive with XP installation disc. I believe XP sees the drives. I am going to attempt to format SATA drive and install a fresh copy of XP.

a silverstone 650w PSU should power that no problem. They are a very very good brand. (not to say they never had a few bad PSUs in a batch)

So did you get a new motherboard?

If so, a reformat should be done

SATA drive got corrupted.

I think this was the result of the bad ULTRA X-Finity. I've got an ide hard drive running the system right now so I can pull data off the corrupted drive and then I will reformat.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back