Is this possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MetalX

Sorry for the non-descript title, but I didn't know how to word my question so that it fit in the title box. :)

Since my motherboard has 2 ethernet ports, I was wondering if it's possible to connect an ethernet cord from my router, providing the internet, to one of them, and my Xbox 360 to the other one so that I could use Xbox live. Would this work? My motherboard is a ASUS P5B Deluxe Wi-fi AP Edition.

Yes it will. For the connection to your Xbox you need to get a crossover cable. When you set it up make sure to use the Bridge Connection wizard to Bridge these too network connections together.

I don't think you want to bridge, you want to enable ICS on one of them. Once you have that setup you shouldn't need to do anything on the xbox, as far as it is concerned that is the real connection to the internet.

Why not connect the XBox directly to the router? Any device between you and the internet means more lag. And when Windows dies (not a rare occurrance), then your XBox's network goes too.

If your computer does plug into a router, then bridging would be the better choice. If you are connecting the PC to a modem, then you need ICS.

Well it seems to be working, except for the fact that I have no sound. :( I used an HDMI to DVI cable to connect the 360 directly to my screen, but by doing so, I can no longer plug in the standard A/V cables to the back of the 360, so I can't get any sound at all... Any ideas?

***Sorry, accidental post***What operating system are you running?***Sorry, accidental post***

set the audio to digital
just quick dumb question did you set ICS on the 1st nic in the computer with direct internet access??

I don't know what ICS is, so I assume I didn't. I just bridged the two connections. My computer is connected to the router and my 360 is connected to my computer. Xbox live is up and running. Thanks for your help everyone. :D

EDIT: I also got the sound working. ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back