TechSpot

Is this setup a good watercooling solution?

By mossimoboy
Mar 26, 2006
  1. KingCody

KingCody TS Evangelist Posts: 992   +7

nice to see you're putting together your own system :)

those are all nice parts, although I don't think they're worth the money they cost. But if you don't mind spending the money on that stuff, then it's great. the only thing i would recommend is a bigger reservior

2. mossimoboy

mossimoboy TS Rookie Topic Starter Posts: 121

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is I can't find all those parts or similar at other places.

If you could help me out then that would be great.

3. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 TS Rookie Posts: 766

I have a resvor and it's really not need do to the pump doing the same thing. It just adds to the look also make sure you have big case because in a mid size case it looks clutered.

Best of Luck...

4. mossimoboy

I don't really understand what you're saying.. Are you saying that a reservior doesn't do anything? Or that the pump is doing the same thing..?

Please be more clear.

5. KingCody

huh?? :confused:

the pump and the reservior do not do the same thing. They serve 2 separate purposes

water cools down naturally with or without a radiator. more water = better cooling. In systems such as mine, where I have made it for silent operation (not so much for overclocking) i don't even use a radiator, i just pump in and out of the reservior. On my other rig with an AthlonXP overclocked 700MHz past it's stock speed... i use a radiator on that (but still no fan)

6. mossimoboy

Oh yes, I had one question,
    what type of tubing is better?

1/2 or 3/8 tubing?

7. CrossFire851

8. KingCody

they each have good and bad qualities...

1/2" will allow more water to flow, but is harder to bend (tight bends will flatten or kink the hose and reduce water flow)

3/8" does not allow as much water to flow, but can be much easier to route around in a smaller case like mid-towers, and won't flatten or kink as easily

another thing to think about with tubing is the outside diameter. Tubing comes in thin-walled and thick-walled types. Thick-walled tubing will not flatten or kink, but is very stiff and hard to bend. Thin-walled tubing can be bent easily, but will kink or flatten when tight bends are used.

cheap tubing is fine for household use, but when confined in a tight area like a PC case, it's no good. do youeself a favor and spend the extra money on good tubing like clear-flex or tygon, they are made of a soft material that is thick-walled but easy to bend without kinking. hope this helps :)

9. KingCody

you need to relize that the unit in that picture you provided that you refer to as a pump is actually a reservior with a subersible pump inside. I think this is where you got confused, your system actually has 2 resi's so in your case a second resi would be just for looks

however... the setup that mossimoboy is looking to get has an inline pump (not submerged in a resi), so it would be best to get a bigger resi than the little fillport resi (the ones that mount in a 5.25" drive bay look nice)

hope that clears things up a bit :)

10. CrossFire851

I didn't really look at the pump, thats were i got confused. Sry everyone

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.