TechSpot

Is this setup a good watercooling solution?

By mossimoboy
Mar 26, 2006
Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KingCody

KingCody TechSpot Guru Posts: 1,568   +7

nice to see you're putting together your own system :)

those are all nice parts, although I don't think they're worth the money they cost. But if you don't mind spending the money on that stuff, then it's great. the only thing i would recommend is a bigger reservior
  2. mossimoboy

mossimoboy Newcomer, in training Topic Starter Posts: 212

Ok, thanks for the suggestions. The only problem is I can't find all those parts or similar at other places.

If you could help me out then that would be great.
  3. CrossFire851

CrossFire851 Newcomer, in training Posts: 1,058

I have a resvor and it's really not need do to the pump doing the same thing. It just adds to the look also make sure you have big case because in a mid size case it looks clutered.

Best of Luck...
  4. mossimoboy

I don't really understand what you're saying.. Are you saying that a reservior doesn't do anything? Or that the pump is doing the same thing..?

Please be more clear.
  5. KingCody

huh?? :confused:

the pump and the reservior do not do the same thing. They serve 2 separate purposes

water cools down naturally with or without a radiator. more water = better cooling. In systems such as mine, where I have made it for silent operation (not so much for overclocking) i don't even use a radiator, i just pump in and out of the reservior. On my other rig with an AthlonXP overclocked 700MHz past it's stock speed... i use a radiator on that (but still no fan)
  6. mossimoboy

Oh yes, I had one question,
    what type of tubing is better?

1/2 or 3/8 tubing?
  7. CrossFire851

8. KingCody

they each have good and bad qualities...

1/2" will allow more water to flow, but is harder to bend (tight bends will flatten or kink the hose and reduce water flow)

3/8" does not allow as much water to flow, but can be much easier to route around in a smaller case like mid-towers, and won't flatten or kink as easily

another thing to think about with tubing is the outside diameter. Tubing comes in thin-walled and thick-walled types. Thick-walled tubing will not flatten or kink, but is very stiff and hard to bend. Thin-walled tubing can be bent easily, but will kink or flatten when tight bends are used.

cheap tubing is fine for household use, but when confined in a tight area like a PC case, it's no good. do youeself a favor and spend the extra money on good tubing like clear-flex or tygon, they are made of a soft material that is thick-walled but easy to bend without kinking. hope this helps :)
  9. KingCody

you need to relize that the unit in that picture you provided that you refer to as a pump is actually a reservior with a subersible pump inside. I think this is where you got confused, your system actually has 2 resi's so in your case a second resi would be just for looks

however... the setup that mossimoboy is looking to get has an inline pump (not submerged in a resi), so it would be best to get a bigger resi than the little fillport resi (the ones that mount in a 5.25" drive bay look nice)

hope that clears things up a bit :)
  10. CrossFire851

I didn't really look at the pump, thats were i got confused. Sry everyone

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.