Issue with Netgear R7000

D

DelJo63

I know ... you don't believe it and neither did I until I spent several HOURS working this out.

Issue: the R7000 does not support the iPad Mini-4 running V12.13.1 of IOS. It will allow a connection, but fails on the DNS, so no browser can be supported. Our iPhones connect just fine.

The setup:
Code:
Gateway -- EOP ... to far end of the house ... Remote Router --(wired and wifi connections)

The remote (R7000) is setup as an AP; nothing attached to the UPlink, DHCP is disabled and the LAN address must be on the same subnet as the gateway (eg: 192.168.0.X)
Thus the gateway supplies all configurations and if necessary QoS.

Taking out the R7000 and replacing it with a Netgear R6080 with the same AP configuration performs as intended.

The gateway is a non-wifi and the remote now adds dual band 2.4 & 5ghz and all wifi is via the remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
BTW:
  • we have TWO iPad Mini-4 tablets
  • one on iOS 12.13.1
  • other on iOS 12.14.1
  • Two iPhones, both on iOS 12.13.1
  • R7000 was updated to the latest firmware
  • as was the R6080

BTW:
  • we have TWO iPad Mini-4 tablets
  • one on iOS 12.13.1
  • other on iOS 12.14.1
  • Two iPhones, both on iOS 12.13.1
  • R7000 was updated to the latest firmware
  • as was the R6080

so its functional on The iPhones and iPad 12.14.1 but not on the 12.13.1? I'd say it's probably apples fault on not fully supporting all their range devices or it could be dated firmware on router.

so its functional on The iPhones and iPad 12.14.1 but not on the 12.13.1? I'd say it's probably apples fault on not fully supporting all their range devices or it could be dated firmware on router.

Neither iPad :( also note that the router was also updated :(

R/R replacement R6080 router and everything is just FINE -- so it's the R7000's fault

Neither iPad :( also note that the router was also updated :(

R/R replacement R6080 router and everything is just FINE -- so it's the R7000's fault

Have you tried contacting netgear? Seems bizarre that such a commonly used router has such a flaw even though they could be noted as "dated" devices.

Have you tried contacting netgear? Seems bizarre that such a commonly used router has such a flaw even though they could be noted as "dated" devices.
Yes it is bizarre, but as there's such a clear set FAIL-Success tests,
and Whereas the R/R of the router led to the solution, I wasn't interested in debugging Netgear with hours of effort only to come back to square one.

I would just LOVE to see someone with an iPad Mini-4 share their experience!

Back