It SAYS it's connected but..it's not..

Status
Not open for further replies.
You guys, I am about as UN-computer savy as they come...but I'm going to try to ask this question and hope that I'm asking it in the right forum and that I can explain it correctly.

I'm running Window's XP. We have a network at our house. My husband's computer is upstairs and my laptop is downstairs.

We purchased a wireless router, but guess who still trips over a wire each night in our bedroom. Me.

I told my husband that for Christmas I wanted wireless for my laptop computer...connected and actually WORKING so I can do away with this huge grey wire thingey in our bedroom.

Well, he's been working on it all day today. Here is what we have so far.

I go to Network connections. It says that NETGEAR (That's us) is CONNECTED with four bars and good strength.

I then try to sign on to AOL ( I know I know) and get NADA. Same thing for Explorer. NADA.

I have Spy Sweeper and Norton running, and they show no spywears or viruses.

The dadgummed thing isnt working up in his office either. It just SAYS it is connected but it's not.

Now the weird thing is this. I CAN connect to wireless in airports or Starbucks, etc. and...I also can connect to one of our neighbor's wireless....BUT..it is a very weak signal and I get disconnected and I want to be signed up to my own wireless not on their bleed over.

Obviously my computer is able to sign up to wireless...JUST NOT TO OURS IT SEEMS!

Is there anyone here who might know what we are doing wrong, and can explain it in terms that dumb blondes can understand? Thank you! Robin

P.S. Please forgive me if I am asking the wrong question in the wrong place!

You have come to the right place. This happens with my PSP, sometimes it will connect to a WLAN network but it doesnt have enough signal strength to transmit any data, so it starts choking on its own error messages. Try to move the laptop closer to the router or whatever (whichever is furthest away)

Oh so its good strength? Well this is odd. I know a friend at a compputer shop (I'm In Brisbane Australia) and me AND him have been noticing alot of Netgear and D-Link wireless routers being refunded, either they dont work or they're stupid. It's about 50/50.

You have come to the right place. This happens with my PSP, sometimes it will connect to a WLAN network but it doesnt have enough signal strength to transmit any data, so it starts choking on its own error messages. Try to move the laptop closer to the router or whatever (whichever is furthest away)

It SAYS it is full strength..with five bars...could this still be the case? Our house is only about 2200 square feet...I'm not too far away from the router I don't think? THANK YOU for responding to this!

pup3 said:

It SAYS it is full strength..with five bars...could this still be the case? Our house is only about 2200 square feet...I'm not too far away from the router I don't think? THANK YOU for responding to this!

Hmm no problem. But before you think about taking it back or whatever. If it says its connected, it should be connected. Ring up AOL perhaps? AOL gets alot of crittisism for stuff like this.

EDIT: And to reply to somebody's post, go to that post and click quote. :D

Shadowrunner said:
Oh so its good strength? Well this is odd. I know a friend at a compputer shop (I'm In Brisbane Australia) and me AND him have been noticing alot of Netgear and D-Link wireless routers being refunded, either they dont work or they're stupid. It's about 50/50.

AHA and hello Down Under! Thanks..this sounds like it may be the case!

Shadowrunner said:
Hmm no problem. But before you think about taking it back or whatever. If it says its connected, it should be connected. Ring up AOL perhaps? AOL gets alot of crittisism for stuff like this.

EDIT: And to reply to somebody's post, go to that post and click quote. :D

Yes but I can't sign on to Explorer either..and my husband HATES AOL and won't allow it to be within ten feet of his office or computer...he has Outlook Express...and though it says it is connected, it won't connect to anything...oh great..he just now comes down and tell me he can't get into the router to put in some numbers..he can't remember the password to get into it..well duh.

I asked if there is a way to email them for the password and he just looked at me with that "ARE YOU REALLY THAT BLONDE look"...uhboy..what now??

If you can, reset the router's password. This can be achieved (if it works anywhere in the house) by going into the modem using a browser. Using the LAN address. Mine is 10.0.0.138 (But i'm wired)(and my modem is SpeedTouch or some crap)

I'm IN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

THANK YOU TO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!! I am wireless this morning! I'm typing to you with NO big grey cord across the floor! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm IN!
Hubby FINALLY broke down and called Cox Cable who walked him through everything.
Imagine THAT...asking for instructions. Is that like asking for directions when you're lost? Wait...I forgot....men don't GET lost...they just take the scenic route! Thanks so much! I'M IN!!!!!!!!!

pup3 said:
THANK YOU TO AUSTRALIA!!!!!!!!!!! I am wireless this morning! I'm typing to you with NO big grey cord across the floor! YAHOO!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm IN!
Hubby FINALLY broke down and called Cox Cable who walked him through everything.
Imagine THAT...asking for instructions. Is that like asking for directions when you're lost? Wait...I forgot....men don't GET lost...they just take the scenic route! Thanks so much! I'M IN!!!!!!!!!

Thats the first time I've ever put a smile on somebody's face here. If you need more tech help nab me on private message or you will find me at my site, uzaiyaro.deviantart.com :D

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back