It took just two days for someone to beat 'Doom' on Ultra-Nightmare difficulty

Shawn Knight

Staff member

id Software’s Doom reboot launched on Friday the 13th (how fitting) following months of teasers and betas. While its multiplayer modes are likely getting the most attention, plenty of gamers are having a great time working through Doom’s single-player campaign.

Those looking for a serious challenge are invited to try the campaign on Ultra-Nightmare mode which cranks the difficulty to 11. Aside from everything being much harder, Ultra-Nightmare mode features permadeath which means if you die – even once – it is game over and you have to start over from the very beginning.

A few weeks before the game came out, Executive Producer Marty Stratton and Creative Director Hugo Martin told IGN that nobody at id Software had yet managed to beat Doom on the hardest difficulty setting.

Remarkably, it took a gamer by the name of Zero Master less than a week to complete it on Ultra-Nightmare mode. Video of the playthrough was uploaded to YouTube on May 15 meaning it took just two days to pull off the feat. That’s hella impressive (no pun intended).

The entire process took four hours and 47 minutes, all of which is shown in the video above. Zero Master said he ran the game on low settings with minimal field-of-view which is a common tactic as things like high-quality smoke and enhanced debris can severely limit your view and thus, get you killed easier.

Permalink to story.

it took a gamer by the name of Zero Master .
His name is really Zero Master? Mr. and Mrs. Master named their kid Zero? I actually have a friend who's last name is DeMaster (seriously), but his parents named him Tom, which is way more boring.

Seriously though - can we please stop calling gamer tags/handles/avatars 'names'? Your name isn't XxneoxX or NoObCrUsHeR420 as much as you might wish it were.

Although considering Zero Master's presence in the real world is probably limited to 45 seconds/day, maybe 'Zero Master' is what all his friends call him. Who am I to judge?

I'm still not that blown away by his accomplishment though... I remember when I was a kid I read about a guy who beat Ninja Gaiden for Nintento WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN. Which was actually possible because of how early games had perfectly timed enemies and no AI.

it took a gamer by the name of Zero Master .
His name is really Zero Master? Mr. and Mrs. Master named their kid Zero? I actually have a friend who's last name is DeMaster (seriously), but his parents named him Tom, which is way more boring.

Seriously though - can we please stop calling gamer tags/handles/avatars 'names'? Your name isn't XxneoxX or NoObCrUsHeR420 as much as you might wish it were.

Although considering Zero Master's presence in the real world is probably limited to 45 seconds/day, maybe 'Zero Master' is what all his friends call him. Who am I to judge?

I'm still not that blown away by his accomplishment though... I remember when I was a kid I read about a guy who beat Ninja Gaiden for Nintento WITHOUT LOOKING AT THE SCREEN. Which was actually possible because of how early games had perfectly timed enemies and no AI.

I remember that also. That was a hard game. not looking..please...

"Zero Master said he ran the game on low settings with minimal field-of-view which is a common tactic as things like high-quality smoke and enhanced debris can severely limit your view and thus, get you killed easier."

Yawn, beat it without turning off all the effects that distort your visuals and maybe I'd be impressed, this is just a form of cheating in my opinion, just makes you look like you can't handle the game in true detail and effect. Although a linear type game like this only takes a couple play throughs before you remember where the enemies will be, when they will spawn, know when to duck and dodge. Zero Master got his 15 seconds of fame, now he can go brag to his Zero friends how much of a Master he is.

Damn, what a bunch of haters here. One could read these comments before reading this article and believe this was something that truly mattered!

Yeesh, the kid is really good at Doom. Everyone's gotta be good at something - give him a break. Jellies.

I'll be impressed when he does it on a pistol-only NUR. Still worthy of acknowledgement here, though.

I saw this article at work, and didn't think much about the accomplishment. Thought that I'll check out the video if I remember when I get home. I remembered and started watching the video, saw maybe like a minute of it, but it immediately hit me that this is probably the most impressive thing that I've heard of this year. If you really think about all the things that goes on into memorizing a complete game environment, and just so much, not getting hit. I'm too tired to really get into it. Just that I was left wondering about the mental capabilities of the player. I also thought that maybe he also cheated, perhaps playing the game in slow motion.

I saw this article at work, and didn't think much about the accomplishment. Thought that I'll check out the video if I remember when I get home. I remembered and started watching the video, saw maybe like a minute of it, but it immediately hit me that this is probably the most impressive thing that I've heard of this year. If you really think about all the things that goes on into memorizing a complete game environment, and just so much, not getting hit. I'm too tired to really get into it. Just that I was left wondering about the mental capabilities of the player. I also thought that maybe he also cheated, perhaps playing the game in slow motion.

Yeah, but for almost 5 hours? I'm thinking cheating by slowing down the game - probably not. Cheating via a stimulant like Ritalin - for sure. (If you call that cheating) Crystal Meth would do it too... He learned and beat this in two days - I'd bet he didn't sleep.

I wasn't hating. Just thought it funny that someone mentioned a vague thing from gaming history and I also remember it. Then we find each other on a site posting comments and....... Time went bye, now we are happily married with a couple kids.....
seriously though I think, what this guy did was surely difficult.

He did learn the game quickly (that is the impressive part) but the learning the game part is just something every gamer does naturally. Play a game enough and you will eventually know it very well, unless it is made of dynamically created levels. Speed runners do it everyday, you don't get speed records without knowing every move that will happen in the game.

"Zero Master said he ran the game on low settings with minimal field-of-view which is a common tactic as things like high-quality smoke and enhanced debris can severely limit your view and thus, get you killed easier."

Lame... but whatever, I don't care in single player. I really hate players who do this kind of thing in multiplayer though. Maybe we need to start pairing gamers on servers with the same graphics settings. Probably not that big of a deal in the grand scheme of things but I've seen low quality settings abused and it really can make a difference.

The only reason I played those old DOS games back in the day, was to see how the story ended.
Now that I see this, I won't have to waste days, months figuring out how to beat it. :)

They need to make said visuals not removable. If your system can't run it with the basic setup going, don't play it. Good Grief even the consoles can play with full visuals, not cranked up but...

They need to make said visuals not removable. If your system can't run it with the basic setup going, don't play it. Good Grief even the consoles can play with full visuals, not cranked up but...
Why? people play games their way thats the beauty of gaming and this old boy (60) needs all the help he can get these days never played the original doom and not this one either not my cup of tea as a game.But is doing this sort of thing good for your health with the lack of sleep and using if any caffeine drinks the way they do today the best way to play games I just find cruising and taking my time the best way and thats why I just loved Fallout4 and rise of the tomb raider and such anyway happy gaming all.

Keep moving and get good at 180 degree spin & shoots, and you'll be fine.
Never stop reloading.

Back