own mistake. I did search the net for an answer but never found anything
that helped.

But yesterday I lost some jpeg files that I was in the process of backing up
to CD. I was in "My Pictures" and click on about 5 folders of pictures to copy
to CD. During this process I found my DVD/CD drive was not working
properly so I deleted the files in the temp folder that were ready to
copy across.

And now I can no longer veiw them.
The file size is still the same but just can't see them.

After searching the net for an answer I have come across many others
with this problem. But no solution.

People have done different things to their jpeg files but something has
changed them. And the ones with this problem have the same thing wrong
in the end. "No preview available" on our Jpeg files.

"Explorer shows no preview in preview mode, i get "No preview available"

- Windows picture and fax viewer - the same "No preview available"

- Other programs say something along the lines of "Cannot read from file" or "File contains errors"

I have copied just two examples of this problem from this forum. I am sure someone, somewhere knows what to do about this, so please if u have any ideas
POST!!!

kritonas said:
I recently backed up some photos from my laptop to my desktop and formatted the laptop. Then i found out that 80% of the pictures are corrupted in some way. This is what i know by now:

- The photos are there, all have .jpeg extension, and are the size they used to be. I can also copy, delete, rename them and change their attributes etc.

- Explorer shows no preview in preview mode, i get "No preview available"

- Windows picture and fax viewer - the same "No preview available"

- Other programs say something along the lines of "Cannot read from file" or "File contains errors"

- My hard disk is checked and fine and doesnt contain any bad sectors.

If i didnt have any previous experience with this matter, i'd think that they just got corrupted during transfer. I remember a friend of mine having the same problem though, without moving the pictures. One day, they just behaved like that.
Also, i found many other ppl posting requests like this in forums, that have exactly the same problem - none of them seems to have found a solution.

Well, this is the experts forum, i hope somebody knows the answer!

Other ppl with similar problems:
https://www.techspot.com/vb/topic21717.html [my disk didnt crash tho]
http://www.planetpdf.com/forumarchive/119118.asp [i can delete/copy etc...]

Thanks for your time!

Ancalagon said:
After loosing access to my data partition due to a major screw-up by Partition Magic, I started looking for ways to recover my data. The partition was still there, however it just wasn't recognized by Windows 2000.

Just to give a little background...this is a 60GB NTFS partition on a Western Digital 80GB drive. I am running Windows 2000 SP4.

So after trying many different programs, I was finally able to recover the ENTIRE partition with EasyRecovery Pro v6. However, my glee was short lived once I realized that over 60% of my data is now corrupt.

I have found that I can use EasyRecovery to fix the corruption affecting my Office documents and my Outlook .pst files, however I have 2 GB of images and 12 GB of MP3's that I would rather not lose, and which I cannot open.

The files are the exact same size as they were before the corruption occured, but they simply won't open properly. My jpeg's for example, will open, but there is no image. It just displays the little jpeg icon and that is it. Other images will display either the top half or the bottom half, but will not display in its entirety.

Does anyone have any idea of how I can correct this corruption? Since I can fix the corruption that occured to my Office and Outlook files, I assume these other files must be fixable as well, and I am simply lacking the correct program.

Any ideas that anyone has would be great.

Thanks,

Ancalagon

I get that too, it doesn't really bother me though. Usually if you start the preview from a BMP file, and press the button for next picture, it continues on through and previews the JPG files. Works for me since I have alot more BMP files then JPG files. ( That's not always really good... Running low on disk space. :/ )

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back