TechSpot

Judge orders US Government to disclose crucial Megaupload evidence

By Leeky
May 30, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. Kim Dotcom, the founder of the now-defunct file-sharing service Megaupload scored a minor yet important victory yesterday, after a New Zealand Judge ruled that the U.S. Government must hand over...

Read the whole story

2. Xclusiveitalian

Xclusiveitalian TS Guru Posts: 692   +48

Funny how the country founded on the idea of due process withheld evidence and is now being forced by a foreign judge to hand over evidence it should have already, instead of just the evidence "they deemed" was enough haha, what a world we live in today.

3. Opus

Opus TS Rookie Posts: 42

Stupid world controlled by the persons who are elected by our own votes. If MegaUpload was infringing on copy right, then tons of other companies were/are as well.

4. Camikazi

Camikazi TS Enthusiast Posts: 370   +70

I think MPAA and RIAA are just hoping for a victory here so they can go after all the other companies, all they need is one big win so they can bring it up in future cases.

5. Mindwraith

Mindwraith TS Enthusiast Posts: 186

You know, Kim Dotcom was doing a lot of other bad stuff besides just Megaupload... He is a pretty hardcore criminal.

6. psycros

psycros TS Booster Posts: 762   +252

Yep, and none of his insider trading crimes (so far as we know) have anything to do with Megaupload. Is he a sleazebag? Absolutely. However, the US has been applying the law selectively <I>far</I> too often in the last twenty years and I'd rather see a guilty man walk than watch an innocent one get railroaded. Why isn't Eric Holder on trial right now?? He's the "top cop" in America, and he sold guns to Mexican gangsters which were then used to kill US cops!! Oh, but he's a good buddy of the Kenyan-in-Chief, so nothing is done. Meanwhile anyone who says an unkind word about Obama gets put on a terrorist watch list. If you're an American you have plenty of bigger things to worry about than Kim Dotcom, believe me..but don't tell that to the RIAA and MPAA whose only concerns are making huge profits from degenerating your kids into sex-crazed lunatics.

7. Wendig0

Wendig0 TechSpot Paladin Posts: 1,078   +76

I agree 110%.

8. I suggest you read the latest on torrentfreak
    megaupload has filed for dismissal in virginia court

9. kg4icg

kg4icg TS Rookie

That is where the Federal Courthopuse is. In Alexandria, Va.

10. wooo thats the problem... the US government doesnt have any proof.... case dismiss .

They want dotcom in us ground so they can do what they do best, brake the law keeping him arrested.

11. Tygerstrike

Tygerstrike TS Enthusiast Posts: 827   +93

I do so love how *****ic and moronic some of the posts are. Mega got shutdown, so that why the US Govt. is going after Kim. Use your brains ppl. The US Govt. is going after him for far more then just file sharing. He is a sleezebag. He broke MANY countries laws. It seems as if all you ppl can see is the file sharing. Do a bit of research!!! You can look up past articles on TS. Use it!!!
    If you cant find any articles ask the author of this one if he will post a link for you. Get the whole story before you jump on that bandwagon.

12. Tygerstrike wrote: "I do so love how *****ic and moronic some of the posts are. Mega got shutdown, so that why the US Govt. is going after Kim. Use your brains ppl. The US Govt. is going after him for far more then just file sharing."

Speak for yourself. If Kim has broken the law in certain jurisdictions then the USA needs to negotiate with those sovereign jurisdictions and bring the appropriate civil or criminal charges to bear, if there is proof. The US government does not get to send in the SWAT every time their corporate overlords are displeased by some guys attitude or ethics, and then subvert jurisdiction, justice, and people's rights, just to get their own way.

By your reasoning, I'm guessing you'd really like to live in Somalia. A paradise of small government and lack of legal process.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.