June Steam survey: Windows 10 found on nearly half of all users' PCs, Vive twice as popular as Rift

midian182

Staff member

Valve has released the latest Steam Hardware and Software survey. June’s results show that Windows 10 is now the preferred operating system for almost half of all users, and the HTC Vive is outselling the Rift by 2 to 1.

Windows 10 retains the number one position it stole from Windows 7 back in April. The 64-bit version of the OS is now found on 42.94% of Steam users’ systems, an increase of 3.26% from last month.

Windows 10 was the only Microsoft operating system to see its user numbers grow. Windows 7 64-bit fell 1.64% to 30.61% and Windows 8.1 64-bit took the second biggest dive, down 1.01% to 10.07%.

On the OSX side, which only accounts for 3.60% of all users, MacOS 10.11.5 64-bit was the only version to increase, up 1.13% to 1.38% overall. And while the total number of people accessing Steam through Apple’s OS remained the same, Linux users continue to fall, down 0.04% to just 0.80%.

A particularly interesting statistic revealed by the survey gives an idea of how the two VR headsets are fairing against each other. It may cost $200 more, but it seems the HTC Vive is winning the virtual reality battle on the Steam; 66% of VR users on the platform own a Vive, with the remaining 34% using an Oculus device. Overall, though, there are still only 0.23% of Steam users who own either one of the headsets.

When it comes to graphics cards, the GTX 970 continues to be top dog, a position it has held since it overtook Intel’s HD Graphics 4000 back in December. Nvidia continues to dominate the category; its GPUs hold the top 7 spots, with AMD’s Radeon HD 7900 series the highest entry for the red team. Overall, Nvidia cards are found in 56.71% of all Steam users' machines.

Windows 10 may rule supreme on Steam, but the OS still lags behind when it comes to global installs. According to NetMarketShare, the newer version has just under 20% of the global market share, whereas Windows 7's 49.05% worldwide share means it’s still the most popular OS.

Permalink to story.

[quote = Rob Thubron ]When it comes to graphics cards, the GTX 970 continues to be top dog, a position it has held since it overtook Intel’s HD Graphics 4000 back in December. Nvidia continues to dominate the category; its GPUs hold the top 7 spots, with AMD’s Radeon HD 7900 series the highest entry for the red team. Overall, Nvidia cards are found in 56.71% of all Steam users' machines.[/quote]
The people have spoken!
Damn son!

The steam survey needs updating. when I tried to run it, it only detected my physx card (gtx750) but not my main card (gtx970) and the highest network speed option I could select was 10mbps cable... I'm on 200mbps fibre.

0.23% of Steam users have a VR device.

Says it all, right there...

I have the Oculus Rift. Had a 4th of July party over the weekend. Family, friends neighbors ect....

Demo'd the Rift for each and every guest. The response was overwhelming. Shock and Awe at how cool it was. They all said it was much cooler than they expected.

Not one person said it was just what they expected. They all agree that VR is here to stay and that this is just the tip of the iceberg for the future of VR.

How many typical consumers had PCs going into the 80s and beyond? Bit of the same situation here. Adaptation takes off as the technology matures and prices shoot down.

How many of those were unwanted/unwelcome forced upgrades from behind the sceens... ? When you choke-hold your clientele, it's easy to 'fluff' your numbers.

I have the Oculus Rift. Had a 4th of July party over the weekend. Family, friends neighbors ect....

Demo'd the Rift for each and every guest. The response was overwhelming. Shock and Awe at how cool it was. They all said it was much cooler than they expected.

Not one person said it was just what they expected. They all agree that VR is here to stay and that this is just the tip of the iceberg for the future of VR.

I'm glad you used the word "demo" because that's all that was. Of course anyone - especially non-tech people - are going to be wowed with using it for a 5 minute demo. But try using it for longer than even 45 minutes or try and find some real games, not just showcase software for it and that's an entirely different story.

The handful of people I know who have these devices were all jumping for joy for the first hour or two. Now they're all collecting dust.

I'm glad you used the word "demo" because that's all that was. Of course anyone - especially non-tech people - are going to be wowed with using it for a 5 minute demo. But try using it for longer than even 45 minutes or try and find some real games, not just showcase software for it and that's an entirely different story.

The handful of people I know who have these devices were all jumping for joy for the first hour or two. Now they're all collecting dust.

And all the replies they have for you are still very valid. This is in it's infancy. Within 5 years this will be a much, much more used technology. It's not going to have a lot of uses or titles right now that take advantage of it. I'm sure the folks you know that have those devices aren't using them not because the tech sucks but because the lack of content. I don't see this as being the 3D monitor fad, the uses and application use of VR is pretty limitless. We just need more tech, lower prices and more content. Cheer up dude!

Some of you (with confidence in Steam users) miss the CPU core/speed or VRAM totals?
takes a Bunch of users to bring the total down to sub 3GHz, sub i5 and single GB VRAM, yes? (the recent drop-from-top of the i4000 makes me think: that's a Lot of NUCs, lol)

Might be helpful to weight the Amount of time the user spent gaming, as opposed to Uncle Phred testing his rig to see how it performs, MHO.

How many of those were unwanted/unwelcome forced upgrades from behind the sceens... ? When you choke-hold your clientele, it's easy to 'fluff' your numbers.
I'm pretty sure the people that use Steam know exactly how to avoid W10.
Say WHAT?!? Because people can use one plug&play gaming software tool, you think that gives them any sort of tech savy bit WHAT SO EVER?!?

OMG... I don't even have a comment for that... I'm flabbergasted. My kids both use steam, they also neither have a clue how the OS works. When the mouse is slow for a second cause the computer is thinking and they clicked on 30 things in 2 seconds, "It broke dad...".

Yeah and with this next gen of gfx cards, mainstream GPU perf requirements are looking within reach. Just need the headsets and titles to ramp up (or down in price!).

I'm sure I'm in the minority being a person that still uses a dual boot system. Its saved me a lot of heartache in the past year :)

Nvidia has had an SLI bug affecting a handful of games with VRAM leaks only in 10, such as GTA V, The Division, and a few others. Because of this I won't be bothering with SLI in the future.

The steam survey needs updating. when I tried to run it, it only detected my physx card (gtx750) but not my main card (gtx970) and the highest network speed option I could select was 10mbps cable... I'm on 200mbps fibre.

Steam doesn't recognize LAN rigs, or 1 owner with multiple computers either.

Back