Just built a new pc, everytime i try to install a game, my pc reboots! help please :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

mattw

Hello,

I have just built a new pc with this spec:

AMD Athlon 64 4000+
HIS ATI Radeon X850XTPE 256mb AGP
1024mb Samsung RAM Pc3200 (taken from old machine)
74GB WD Raptor HDD
480w Antec TrueBlue PSU
DFI Lanparty UT nF3 Ultra

I have taken a DVD-RW and a DVD-ROM from my old setup.

Here is the Problem

Im trying to install any game, the disk gets read in the drive as usual... then the pc reboots! It has happened everytime Ive tried to install a game, Its even happened, when im trying to install a few motherboard drivers.

I have tried putting an audio CD into the drive and it reads that no problem and does not reboot.

I am really stuck for ideas on how to solve this. Could it be the DVD drives are the prob? Could it be the HDD? Could it be PSU? Could it be the OS?

Im pretty sure the CPU is not over heating, as it have the monitor up when it crashes and it is round 38ish Degrees Celcius.

Anyone have any ideas?

Help is much appreciated

Does it happen in only one of the drives or both of them?

I'd try unplugging one of the drives from the cable and check if the issue persists, if so, switch which drive is unplugged then check again.

are you getting a BSOD (blue screen) right before the system reboots??

go into your system properties control panel and under "startup and recovery", uncheck the "automatically restart" box. This way, next time your system crashes you will be able to see the error message before it restarts (you will have to reboot manually)

even though your PSU is made by Antec (which is a good brand), spontaneous reboots during system intensive activities usually points to an weak/underpowered PSU. It could also be a RAM problem, download and run Memtest86 to see if your RAM has any errors.

the screen goes blank, then i get the BSOD. it only appears for a second or so, so i dont get a chance to read it.

i have unchecked that box, but it still only appears for a second or so.

here is the blue screen, i took a photo of it

DSCF0172.jpg

maybe a memory problem?

i have put memtest86 onto a cdrw, now what do i do?

do i boot set it to boot from the cdrom first in BIOS? as if i was installing windows from scratch?

memtest is a floppy boot program, use your floppy drive (yes they are still required for computers.) - otherwise figure a way to boot from your CD and run memtest86. It is a dos based program.

mattw said:
i have put memtest86 onto a cdrw, now what do i do?

do i boot set it to boot from the cdrom first in BIOS? as if i was installing windows from scratch?

Did you download the .iso version? When you burned it to your CD, did you set the options for creating a "bootable" cd?

If so, then yes. You just stick it in the drive and reboot and follow the instructions.

If it doesn't boot from CD, check your boot settings in bios and make sure CD drive is set before HDD. Cheers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back