Just how much can you over-clock??

Status
Not open for further replies.

joked u 2

I got a duel 939 vista by ASRock mobo and an athlon 64 2.2ghz chip right now i got it at 2.54ghz and have had it at 2.8 but how far can i over clock it. i got 5 case fans and the cpu fan turned up to fast, sdo cooling shouldn't be a big problem. any help here?

That's an impossible question to answer as there ard so many variables that affect overclocking!!

You can overclock until it won't run stable anymore, and thats how far.

Your budget motherboard and stock cooling will likely be the limiting factor.

Some ASrock Mobos can overclock very far, they just need a solder on the motherboard for a voltmod in order to do it.

Hi joked u 2,

joked u 2 said:
how far can i over clock it?
There is no generic "one-size-fits-all" maximum overclock number that anybody can give you. each component is unique and will have a different tolerance to overclocking. since no two components are the same, one "identical" system might be able to run stable at 3.0GHz while the other one refuses to boot at 2.7GHz.

joked u 2 said:
right now i got it at 2.54ghz and have had it at 2.8
so you pushed it up to 2.8GHz (which isn't too shabby ;)), so why did you back down to 2.54GHz?? Did it not run stable at 2.8GHz?? (or were you not able to stabilize it with a voltage increase??)

:wave:

BTW, it's dual, not duel ;)

there is no pre-defined limit on how much a system can be overclocked. your processor's stock speed, for example, is the highest speed at which the manufacturer guarantees the product to work. overclocking will void the warranty on any CPU and/or mobo.

what chipset do you have?

fortunately, the board you linked has fixed buses, so that you can increase the FSB (and your processor as well) without having to worry whether other components can keep up, so to speak. for overclocking, i reccomend increasing the clocks in small steps, verifying each time that the system is fully functional. remember that almost no warranties cover overclocked products. also with overclocking, it is possible to irreperably damage and/or destroy system components, so keep an eye on the heat levels of your processor and inside your case.

MetalX said:
Some ASrock Mobos can overclock very far, they just need a solder on the motherboard for a voltmod in order to do it.

What does this mean MetalX? Modifying the voltage regulators?

I still think your going to kill a system much sooner than by not overclocking... You overclockers must be made of money!

I use ASrock motherboards in Emachines rebuilds. I would never consider building a "good" system using an ASrock. They are just crap, that's all. Emachines deserves them

joked u 2 said:
I got a duel 939 vista by ASRock mobo and an athlon 64 2.2ghz chip right now i got it at 2.54ghz and have had it at 2.8 but how far can i over clock it. i got 5 case fans and the cpu fan turned up to fast, sdo cooling shouldn't be a big problem. any help here?
Did you do that on stock cooling? No matter how much the fan spins the stock heatsink ain't gonna do much. Make sure you monitor your temps at all times.

Anyways, with that 2.8GHz clock you beat my X2 3800+ with 50MHz. But then again, what you have is comparable to an X2 4200+ (stock 2.2GHz like you, while mine is stock 2GHz). But still - good overclock.

yep stock cooling, i recentily uped my overclocking to 2.68 and my computer would BSOD frequentily, so i backed it off and it seemed to stop.

you can overclock it until you burn up your components and then learn your lesson the hard way.

Tedster said:
you can overclock it until you burn up your components and then learn your lesson the hard way.

That's a great answer, but in actuality, most overclocking goes up and up until the system becomes unstable or it locks up and fails to boot. A CMOS reset usually brings the system back to life

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back