Just wanna transfer stuff PC to Laptop

Status
Not open for further replies.
My daughter needs some things like DVD files and MPEG 4 files downloaded from the PC to her HP Pavillion DV1000 laptop. Can I get some solid advice please. Settings on PC and or laptop and what type of cables such as firewire or USB would help. It seems as if it should be easy but Im Munsoned on this one.

Thanx

The best way to do this is to get an external hard drive (e.g. 40 GB) and use that to copy the files. If you don't have one, a good way is to burn the data to a DVD.

If they've both got ethernet cards you just need a crossover cable. Install networking on both and join the same workgroup.

Hate to sound too dang ignant, but I thought it was just a case of trasfering data ...........similar to hooking up a USB flash drive to the USB port or firewire.

It could be done that way. What are you having a problem with? This should be a fairly straightforward task.

you can even use a null serial (slow)cable to transfer
don't have to buy anything expensive or fancy
usb to usb (faster)special cable --->>>usb link 20.00
if the laptop and pc already have an network card
(ethernet connect) just by cheap cross over cable like
IronDuke mentioned

Actually what I had in mind was to transfer video files in MPEG4 and Rat DVD format. I can always burn them to an RW and then load them to her laptop. But for cryin out loud I cant figure how to set up the PC and the laptop to recognize each other so that its just a bloody bloomin transfer. And heaven help me if I screw up her settings on the laptop. I get the somethings p[luged i tone but when I go to My Computer theres nothing but the regular stuff. Ive tried to input my fire wire into the laptop port but I get no recognition. Im sure its in the setup but I guess Ill start takin the short bus to school.

I'm not an expert by far, but this is how i shared my files from my Desktop to Laptop using Windows XP (Which I assume you are also using)
I slapped a cat5e cable in from 1 computer to the other. clicked on "My Network Places" on both computers, ran "Set up a home or small office network" ran through the wizard. Then I did the wizard on the Laptop, making sure to give the workgroup the same name and the computers themselves different names. The folders that I wanted shared i right clicked, hit "sharing and security..." enabled "share this folder on the network" and enabled "Allow network users to change my files" after that I went to my laptop, hit "My network place" then "View workgroup computers" and there was my files. Sorry if this seems over simplified for you, but I know plenty of people (including myself) that accidently overlook the easy stuff.

Well, truth be told I tried that but prolly didnt follow all the way thrubecause I didnt wanna screw up her settings. But alas I shall try again using the exact technique that you have described. Ill let ch all know what happens. Thanx to everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back