Karateka: the 1984 martial arts game comes back to life in interactive documentary

Alfonso Maruccia

Staff
In context: Jordan Mechner, the legendary game designer who created Prince of Persia, also brought about an entirely new way to tell interactive stories. Before Prince of Persia, Mechner crafted Karateka, a game with a story that deserves its own documentary.

Video game developer Digital Eclipse is making a documentary about Karateka, Jordan Mechner's first proper gaming venture that was originally released on the Apple II home computer in 1984. Karateka is, by definition, a martial arts action game, which according to Digital Eclipse made massive leaps in animation, music, and cinematic storytelling.

The Making of Karateka documentary is the first production in the Gold Master Series, a new line of independent, self-published games best described as "interactive documentaries." Players and fans will have to chance to explore the creation of the game, its makers, and everything in between through a lavish collection of photos, audios, interviews and other "digital artifacts."

The interactive part of these Gold Master documentaries are the games themselves, which will be accessible in all their original glory on modern platforms including consoles and PC. The Making of Karateka will include the finished retail version of Karateka, but it will also give gamers the chance to play "several unfinished prototypes" including the one Mechner pitched to publishers.

Furthermore, the package will also include prototypes of Deathbounce, an arcade shooter Mechner tried to create before Karateka, plus an updated version of the 1984 game simply known as Karateka Remastered.

Thanks to the trove of interviews, information and interactive experiences included in The Making of Karateka, Digital Eclipse promises gamers the opportunity to get to know the "real" Jordan Mechner, beyond his reputation as one of the most legendary and recognizable video game designers. Francis Mechner, Jordan's father and one of the "unsung heroes" of video game history, will also play a role in the documentary.

After being converted for every possible gaming platform released in the past 30 years, Karateka sold at least 500,000 copies by 2000. Original reviews hailed the game as a "breakthrough" in the business, a production where art "merges with technology" to produce a game with cinematic qualities the likes of which were never seen before (Hardcore Computist, 1985).

The Making of Karateka will be available on Xbox, PlayStation, Switch and PC, where gamers will also have the chance to purchase a DRM-free version via GOG.com. Digital Eclipse has previously developed another interactive documentary, titled Atari 50, which focused on the history of Atari.

Permalink to story.

I will always have a soft spot in my heart for Karateka. Finally defeating the boss and never thinking to run into the girl's arms was an unforgettable moment in gaming.
Also, my Apple II still works. I should turn it on and play it again, but the Mach II joystick died long ago.

Not to forget that games was supposed to have "copy protections" that mean you get sutck on some part of game. But essentially all Commodore 64 cassette versions (originals included) contained "invisible door" bug (that was one of those supposed to be copy protections), so good luck for everyone that bought C64 cassette version

If it is included in my Xbox GamePass subscription, I will give it a try, but I don't think I will purchase it per se. I already have the game in floppy images for use in all the emulators that I can see and play in all the different formats like PC, Amiga, ST, etc. As for the "documentary" part I would rather watch them on YouTube.

I first played it in a IBM PC XT clone with Hercules monochrome card which was later "upgraded" to a CGA graphic card.

I first played it in a IBM PC XT clone with Hercules monochrome card which was later "upgraded" to a CGA graphic card.

I know exactly, what you mean... My first PC was IBM PC XT clone, with CGA graphics, without HDD, just with two 5,25" FDD. One with 360KB and the second one with 1,2MB capacity. 3 years after, I have got IBM AT 286 clone with EGA graphics and 20MB HDD. And the next step was computer with AMD 486 DX2-80 MHz, 8 MB SDRAM 66 MHz, Cirrus Logic Vesa Local Bus graphics with 2 MB od EDO RAM, and 480MB HDD. My father bougt me later Sound Blaster 16 VE on ISA bus. From that day, all my games sounds wonderfull. Lion King, Alladin, GODS, Prehistoric, Golden Axe, CD-MAN, Dizzy, Doom, Prince of Persia 1 and 2 etc. Unforgetable times to me.

Back