Kaspersky says Microsoft is disabling its anti-virus software in favor of 'inferior' Windows...

Jos

Staff

After initially filing a complaint against Microsoft with Russia’s Federal Antimonopoly Service, the antivirus maker is now taking the fight to Europe where it has filed an antitrust complaint claiming the company is using its dominant position with Windows “to fiercely promote its own – inferior – security software at the expense of users’ previously self-chosen security solution.”

Kaspersky claims that with the release of Windows 10, Microsoft started to create obstacles to competing manufacturers of security solutions, and introduce different ways of pushing users to forgo third-party software in favor of its own Windows Defender. Specifically, the company says that when users upgrade to Windows 10, its software is automatically disabled in favor of Windows Defender.

The reason given during the upgrade is that it’s incompatible with the version of Windows. The software still appears as installed on the machine but most of the files have been removed and it no longer runs.

In a detailed blog post, Eugene Kaspersky, the Russian co-founder of the anti-virus company explains that sometimes updates break compatibility with third party software. The company allegues Microsoft is only providing independent developers a couple of weeks to test the latest Windows 10 upgrades to ensure compatibility. If compatibility-breaking changes can't be fixed before Microsoft releases the update, the software is detected as incompatible and removed from users machines.

Microsoft is no stranger to antitrust battles in Europe as it’s already paid billions in cases related to browser choice and how streaming media technologies are integrated with Windows, among others.

In a statement sent to Bloomberg, Microsoft said its primary objective is to keep customers protected, that it remains "confident that the security features of Windows 10 comply with competition laws,” and that its ready to answer any questions regulators might have about the Kaspersky complaint.

Update: Here's the complete statement sent to us, "Microsoft's primary objective is to keep customers protected and we are confident that the security features of Windows 10 comply with competition laws. We're always interested in feedback from other companies and we engage deeply with antimalware vendors and have taken a number of steps to address their feedback. We reached out directly to Kaspersky a number of months ago offering to meet directly at an executive level to better understand their concerns, but that meeting has not yet taken place."

Permalink to story.

Strange, I am able to run Trend Micro and SuperAntiSpyware with Defender running also. Tried Kaspersky software once and all sorts of problems with it. Anyone else have that experience???

Strange, I am able to run Trend Micro and SuperAntiSpyware with Defender running also. Tried Kaspersky software once and all sorts of problems with it. Anyone else have that experience???

Yes Kaspersky sucks! HUGE and BLOATED and slow as hell just like everything else the Russians make...

Kaspersky is time consuming to set up. As an AV program it works fine once all the whitelisting is done. A lighter, more effective, AV program is Panda Free 18. Windows Defender currently is not too bad. We're using it on a couple of laptops with Windows 10 Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Since we only browse the web using Sandboxie's Sandboxed Web Browser (Chrome and Opera in our case) nothing get through anyway. AV program preference is, for some reason, something that many people take personally. We've had customers that have used McAfee for years say how good it has been, until we show them the test results from AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, and clean out all the garbage that McAfee let slide into their Windows installation. Whatever works, use it.

Kaspersky is time consuming to set up. As an AV program it works fine once all the whitelisting is done. A lighter, more effective, AV program is Panda Free 18. Windows Defender currently is not too bad. We're using it on a couple of laptops with Windows 10 Pro, and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit. Since we only browse the web using Sandboxie's Sandboxed Web Browser (Chrome and Opera in our case) nothing get through anyway. AV program preference is, for some reason, something that many people take personally. We've had customers that have used McAfee for years say how good it has been, until we show them the test results from AV-Test and AV-Comparatives, and clean out all the garbage that McAfee let slide into their Windows installation. Whatever works, use it.

True that, I am speaking from corporate and home edition experience with Kaspersky, it was a disappointment to say the least.

Kaspersky has been working fine for me for past 4 years, no problems. What I did have problem with was Zonealarm locking me out of my own LAN and AVG BSOD my system once. Windows Defender is so well hidden in Windows 10, it is hard to tell if it is even there.

If an OS can't protect itself with the makers own measures, then it is time to move on to something more secure. IMHO, Defender is the one to go with, and if it is not enough, look to another OS for a better solution. You don't buy a car then have to have an additional company supply door locks and anti-theft devices.

I think people are missing the bigger implications of this. It doesn't matter what kind of software it is, the fact that Microsoft can simply disable or remove it without YOUR permission is the core of this issue. Microsoft is dictating what is and isn't allowed to run without regard to user opinion, hence the justified cries of monopolistic practices, which to anyone who is familiar with Microsoft's history, shouldn't be much of a surprise.

The problem is, Antivirus software put hard hooks into Windows that invariably have bugs and M$ have got fed up with picking up the pieces.

MS Defender works fine here. I have used it since ive had 10 pro, lil over 2 yrs. Before that, been using MSE, Microsoft Security Essentials. No issue with that either. Ive never had a issue with Microsofts anti viruses, ever.

If I'm not mistaken, wasn't there a article on TechSpot about the best anti viruses and while Defender I don't believe was included, Bitdefender and Kaspersky came out as the 2 best anti viruses.

I think people are missing the bigger implications of this. It doesn't matter what kind of software it is, the fact that Microsoft can simply disable or remove it without YOUR permission is the core of this issue. Microsoft is dictating what is and isn't allowed to run without regard to user opinion, hence the justified cries of monopolistic practices, which to anyone who is familiar with Microsoft's history, shouldn't be much of a surprise.
It's their software, they don't need anyone's permission and this was stated years ago by MS. Not sure why people keep bringing this up when MS made this clear a long time ago.
They have every right to change or decide what they will or wont allow installed. Again, this is MS software not YOURS or Kaspersky's.
If you don't like it, well as one user has said, go find another OS.

LOL. Another reason why windows 7 is still the king of the hill. Im using bitdefender and kaspersky in my Home PCs and laptops and no problems. when windows 7 will end I'm thinking of jumping to the Mac OS for home PCs and laptops.

It's their software, they don't need anyone's permission and this was stated years ago by MS. Not sure why people keep bringing this up when MS made this clear a long time ago.
They have every right to change or decide what they will or wont allow installed. Again, this is MS software not YOURS or Kaspersky's.
If you don't like it, well as one user has said, go find another OS.
Wow such a convincing argument! Why couldn't Microsoft just use this logic to win the EU antitrust case regarding browser choice? Think about it for a bit.

The problem is, Antivirus software put hard hooks into Windows that invariably have bugs and M$ have got fed up with picking up the pieces.
Lots of software are capable of embedding themselves into Windows besides security software and they can have bugs too. Heck Microsoft's own patches can sometimes break more than they fix, showing that they can barely pick up after themselves let alone third-party software. Microsoft didn't just suddenly start caring more about the users, this is clearly a power-grab pure and simple.

Welp maybe third party antivirus should make their software about 50x less resource heavy and invasive
Welp maybe third party antivirus should make their software about 50x less resource heavy and invasive

That comment literally meant nothing.
literally?
Do I even need to mention that even if it did, your comment is far worse?
I'm not sure what your OP had to do with Kaspersky being broken by regressions in Win10. Inefficiency has never been a problem for Windows programs - I'm pretty certain MS would not police that.

Wut? Anti-virus put hooks into APIs that Microsoft *put in their OS*. What you are saying is MS is starting to clean their s%$t and 3rd parties are being affected?

Afraid I don't have much sympathy for kaspersky if their problem is they can't keep up with updates. Other vendors don't seem to have this issue.

"Welp maybe Microsoft should make Windows Defender about 50x less resource heavy and invasive."

I fixed that for you.
I'm sorry but I think I have a right to keep my device safe and windows defender works without any compatibility issues for me unlike Kaspersky , included that it takes less than 100mb while being functional in comparison to most "notable" antivirus applications. I like facts not biased nonsensical opinions..so here's one imgur.com/gallery/Hpg5kw4

Last edited:
Back