TechSpot

Keeping dust out of a tower

By learninmypc
Jun 26, 2014
Post New Reply
  1. A few years back I was talking with a friend about dust bunnies in a tower & how to keep them out.
    I had a somewhat odd idea of using a case covering somewhat like a pillow case to do such. It gets dirty,take it off & put another one on. Much like an air filter in a car. Does that sound ridicules or not?? Just curious. :)

2. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,147   +1,533

Might keep 80% of the dust out, but not all would be stopped. Could also get in the way of case cooling, by entrapping heat insde.

3. learninmypc

learninmypc TS Evangelist Topic Starter Posts: 5,317   +239

Yes, I knew it wouldn't be 100%, but one don't know till one asks :) Yes, no fun having a hot pc. Thanks.

4. cliffordcooley

cliffordcooley TechSpot Paladin Posts: 6,147   +1,533

It could work if the fans directly forced air through the pillow case, but blowing air out of the PC case into the pillow case would pocket the heat.

learninmypc likes this.
  5. learninmypc

6. St1ckM4n

St1ckM4n TS Evangelist Posts: 3,473   +622

Some cases already do this to an extent. They have filters on the intake fans (no filter required on exhaust).

Another way to prevent dust is using the power of physics. :) If you have more intake fans than exhaust, the air pressure in the case will be higher than the surrounding air, which will repel dust particles!

Cobalt006 likes this.
  7. learninmypc

Interesting, thanks. :)

8. learninmypc

Thank you @St1ckM4n & @cliffordcooley . my tower fans had been revving up for a minute or so a couple times a day for the past month or so & I finally shut it down & blew out the dust bunnies & it hasn't happened since. :) Been quieter too. :)

St1ckM4n and cliffordcooley like this.
  9. GhostRyder

GhostRyder TS Evangelist Posts: 2,273   +542

You could try some of these, I use these on spots that do not have filters for the intakes. Works pretty well and they are easy to clean (Can of air).

10. learninmypc

Gollie, $3.99, a price I can afford :) lol. Thanks.

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...

Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.