Keyboard and mouse don't work after POST

grvalderrama

Hi fellows, I need your help with a problem I ran into!! A week ago I installed last AMD's gpu drivers. I didn't realize that it wasn't a WHQL packedge and had a few glitches playing a few games. Then I downloaded the last WHQL driver and when I am to uninstall the beta drivers my mouse and keyboard stopped working at the end of the process (right when the process ask you to restart the pc). I reset the pc with the power buttom and turn it on again and both keyboard and mouse turn off after POST message.

They both work well while POST, I can run BIOS and can run Safe Mode (and all other modes) by pressing F8 at the beggining. OS loads with no issues, and when the "starting windows" message appears, keyboard and mouse turn off, so I cannot open the OS completely because it's password protected. I can see the mouse arrow but won't move and keyboard doesn't responde. Tried opening Safe Mode and safe mode with command prompt, but, when it finishes loading all drivers, automatically keyboard and mouse stop working, like if they don't get energy at all.
So, I thought drivers must have died. I try to recover windows using the Windows dvd with my USB DVD drive, I managed to boot from the DVD and run the setup but won't let me choose any option nor continue with the recovery because of the same issue. Funny thing, it looks like the keyboard isn't on, key lights go off and doesn't responde, but the USB DVD drive keeps working: I can open and close it as many times as I want. So it is not power issue. The motherboard has 2 USB 2.0 ports in the back, one for the keyboard and the other for the DVD Drive in this particular case, USB 3.0 ports don't work with the Windows 7 dvd boot.

I tried removing one RAM bank and switching between the two, nothing. I tried clearing the CMOS, nothing. Legacy and UEFI are both enable. BIOS recognize both peripherals and the DVD drive. Nothing wrong there. I don't have the pitching speaker, so I can't hear anything.

My setup is:
CPU AMD Rysen 3600
Motherboard, Memory MSI B350 Tomahawk + Crucial Ballistix Sport 8x2 GB 2400Mhz
Graphics Sapphire Nitro+ RX 580 8GB
Audio Creative Sound Blaster X-fi Titanium Fatal1ty -
Storage Crucial MXsomenthing 500GB (OS) + HDD Toshiba 2TB
PSU NZXT 550W Hale 82
Operating System Windows 7 Ultimate Edition 64-bits

Tomorrow I will get my hands on a PS2 keyboard and mouse to try again, but I don't feel so sure about that either, also, a Windows 10 USB boot drive.
Please help me to fix this issue and forgive me for my english. I hope you understand every part of it!
Bless you all

" I managed to boot from the DVD and run the setup but won't let me choose any option nor continue with the recovery because of the same issue. "

In other words, the boot from D: drive DVD pulls in the drivers on C:...I'm surprised that it might do that. I always thought that safe mode prevented that from happening.

The idea of PS/2 is a good one. Also a boot from Windows 10 which would include USB3 is an excellent idea.

Do take time to confirm that your existing mouse/keyboard work on another system.

When (if) you get control of your system, I think you should use DDU to remove all traces of driver. Download DDU from downloads section of this website.

Last edited:
" I managed to boot from the DVD and run the setup but won't let me choose any option nor continue with the recovery because of the same issue. "

In other words, the boot from D: drive DVD pulls in the drivers on C:...I'm surprised that it might do that. I always thought that safe mode prevented that from happening.

The idea of PS/2 is a good one. Also a boot from Windows 10 which would include USB3 is an excellent idea.

Do take time to confirm that your existing mouse/keyboard work on another system.

When (if) you get control of your system, I think you should use DDU to remove all traces of driver. Download DDU from downloads section of this website.
I was able to fix it. The ps2 keyboard worked just fine and then downloaded the chipset drivers again. Before I ran the DDU program to clean all graphic drivers, which was suprising, there were still drivers from my gtx 670 from 4 years ago. Now it's up and running again!
Thanks mate!

Back