Keyboard and mouse frozen!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

ddsdavey

Hi and thanx for offering this invaluable service for those of us struggling in this hi-tech world!I bought a second hand p4 which had been running on wireless mouse and keyboard BUT when i bought it i was fobbed off with a cheapo WIRED mouse and keyboard (not usb).I have now set up the system in its new home and switched it on but the mouse and keyboard are totally non-responsive.Any ideas???
Im using Windows xp home edition pack 2.

Did you plug the mouse and the keyboard in the right ports? Did you actually see this keyboard and mouse working before you bought the system?

It is quite common for PS/2 ports to die - maybe there was a reason the system was used with USB/wireless?

Hi thanx for the advice.I bought the system off a friend/oap who hardly used it and it seems relatively new not that that tells us anything but you like to think its got a bit left in it???Ive tried the keyboard AND mouse on my own system and there fine.Is there anyway to solve this issue as im LOST!!!I cant even go into the system (can i?) to check it out as the mouse and keyboard are the only ways of communicating with the P.C. HELP!!!!

Hello and welcome to Techspot.

I agree with Nodsu, there`s a good chance that the PS/2 ports are broken. Your only alternative is to try a usb keyboard and mouse and see if that helps.

Regards Howard :wave: :wave:

Cheers Howard im starting to come to terms with this fact but if i buy a usb alternative how would i install any drivers etc. without an already installed mouse to command it???

With a modern operating system (Windows 2000 or newer), USB keyboard and mice work out of the box. It may take some time for the drivers to get installed after the first time you connect them, but it will Just Work.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back