Keyboard, characters mixed up (NOT a hardware problem)

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I Type certain sybols on my keyboard, incorrect ones appear.

-THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY KEYBOARD!! I have tried several...
-I have the same problem on another older computer. I had it refurbised with Win98SE and ever since it has had the problem. I also had this computer refurbished with its existing win98se and same problem occured.
-I am not alone, last time I browsed the net about this prob, I found other forum entries describing exactlythe same problem.

Here is a list of some of the incorrect keys:
-the button left of one and above tab with sift on: does that curly line on the true hash key
-This is the most annoying: The speech mark " and the @ are mixed up: to type a " I have to press @.
The sterling symbol is impossible to get, it types a #. when I type a # it types a \

You have set the keyboard layout incorrectly. Go to control panel, regional options and set the keyboard layout to match your kayboard.

Also, check the system tray for the language bar. If you see some two letters there like EN or FR try clicking it and choosing another language.

That didn't help but Problem Solved Thanks.

Keyboard language was set to English United States 101, I am in England and so blah blah........................................thanks anyway

Download Key Tweak (Search google) and remap the keys that are giving you problems. Because it is not a hardware problem your keyboard most likely got remapped somehow.

-Spingk

Could be Microsoft Office

Check whether ctfmon is running. Alt+Shift gets the keyboard into weird states sometimes with that part of Office running. See MSFT KB Article ID 282599 and 870774

gobraff98 said:
When I Type certain sybols on my keyboard, incorrect ones appear.

-THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH MY KEYBOARD!! I have tried several...
-I have the same problem on another older computer. I had it refurbised with Win98SE and ever since it has had the problem. I also had this computer refurbished with its existing win98se and same problem occured.
-I am not alone, last time I browsed the net about this prob, I found other forum entries describing exactlythe same problem.

Here is a list of some of the incorrect keys:
-the button left of one and above tab with sift on: does that curly line on the true hash key
-This is the most annoying: The speech mark " and the @ are mixed up: to type a " I have to press @.
The sterling symbol is impossible to get, it types a #. when I type a # it types a \

hey braff, I just had a similar problem that u had, its a problem with the OS you are right about that. Now I checked regional / time settings, nothing. Also checked to re-install drivers, rip root hubs, nothing. Try booting it into safemode and go on the basic administrator account and see if the characters are correct, if they are just restore the pc back to a date before the problem happened, use a different profile or reformat. I know theres a simple solution for it, but system restore in the xp help and support worked for me so I'm not going to go digging for answers.

I had the same kind of problem. After looking at the articles referenced in a previous replay above I discovered that my keyboard will get toggled between an alternate input state with the Alt-Shift key sequence. I can toggle it back to the normal state pressing the “Alt-Shift“ key sequence (and back again). So my problem is solved but if you hear about it from someone else, you can let them know about this fix (trick, feature???).

Hope this fixes your problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back