keyboard

Status
Not open for further replies.

sillygirl

hey ya'll -

need your help again. i am setting up a new computer at work - new out of the box. the keyboard is not cooperating. it is a compaq easy access ps2 internet keyboard.

it doesn't type what i type, ie. i type a, it types as\

i have uninstalled and reinstalled the driver but it doesn't change anything. is there some combination of keys to turn whatever is on, off or is the keyboard fried.

operating system is windows xp pro

thoughts?

thanks

Kim

It sounds to me like one of three things.the first being that there is a problem with the computers interpretation of the keyboard presses due to a software glitch, which is unlikely.

The second is that the keyboard is faulty. Unlikely, but entirely possible.

The most likely in my view is that the keyboard is a different layout from that which the computer expects, or vice versa.

Try changing it with the Regional and Language Options in Control Panel.

edit: Open the regional and language settings, go to the languages tab, and click details. make sure what you see there is what you think it should be before doing anything. If in doubt, ask.

try another keyboard if available. You might also try that keyboard on another machine. Also look at the keyboard properties in control panel and make sure it isn't using a nonstandard version of the driver(such as DVORAK, or a layout for a different country)
you might also look at language settings but that usually jacks up all the type, even the icon labels and menus and such.

try another keyboard if available. You might also try that keyboard on another machine

lmao. That's true. I really should remember to check the basics first. lol

thanks guys - i'll look into your suggestions in the morning - i'm guessing that I'm better off running down the street to compusa to pick up a new one........

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back