Kickstarter project wants to reinvent the light bulb with Wi-Fi control

Shawn Knight

Staff member

A new Kickstarter project created by Phil Bosua following six months of work on dozens of prototypes is aiming to reinvent a technology that essentially hasn’t changed very much in the last 100 years: the light bulb. Sure, we’ve all witnessed the compact fluorescent light bulb trend of late but these units typically produce a color temperature that is too cool (or blueish) for most to enjoy. Furthermore, these bulbs claim to last several years but if my personal experience is any indication, that’s more marketing hype than anything else.

The LIFX (pronounced life-x) light bulb hopes to accelerate LED bulb technology by marrying it with wireless capability to produce an extremely versatile light source. The bulb can be installed by simply replacing your existing bulb in any light-emitting device. Then, you’d download the free app from the App Store or Google Play on your smartphone to create a mood that’s just right for you.

The app can be used to control every LIFX bulb in your house, but it’s not just a simple on / off switch on your phone. Each bulb is dimmable and multi-color to create varying atmospheres that can be used in a number of scenarios. Bosua gives a few suggestions such as using the bulb as a slowly-dimming nightlight for your kids, creating a unique visualization while listening to music and even routing notifications though it.

Each LIFX bulb generates 800 lumens and uses only six watts to do so. And since there’s LED technology in play, users can expect a single bulb to last up to 25 years.

As of writing, there are still 58 days left in the campaign but the team has already surpassed their goal of $100,000 to help with manufacturing and production. A pledge of $69 will ensure you’re one of the first to try out the new light bulbs once they ship in March 2013.

Permalink to story.

The Chinese ones do look similar but they're not as bright, it seems. Several users commented that they're really toys or, in one case, for decorative use. The Kickstarter lights are intended for general, normal lighting around a home or place of business. Also, the RC is done by a smartphone, something people who have them would expect to carry around with them most of the time. I'd suggest making it work from any mobile gadget such as tablets, not just smartphones, but maybe that's what they plan.

Led have 25 years of life?! ive seen led at 12 euros, can I trust in it?

Next, apple would invent another product called iBulb, a LED bulb embedded with iOS (and may come with retina-display-bulb and option for 8GB or 32GB) then patented LED bulb as their intellectual property.

Needs a corresponding replacement for the light switch. An app through wireless device is great and all...

Marketing hype huh? Your confusing the words marketing and hype with almost 100 years of scientific research.

I know that we as humans like yellow light better because of our sun, but I still like (and see better) with white light myself

True, but I feel like this could be a good idea, but I feel like all the colors is not necessary

No, no,no ,no ,no... from all the things this video shows only 2 of them have a REAL and NECESSARY use:

1-Dim: can be easily done whit a potentiometer, wich would last for as long as the diodes.

2-Color Combinations: Can also be easily done whit another potentiometer, the "cheap" way would be using 3 potentiometerfors, one for each color (Red Blue Green), but I can be merged into one whit a simple (and yet cheap too) circuit.
PD: and yet Color combinations isn't really necessary for all rooms.

Anything else from this video is nothing but ****, these kind of "evolutionaries" should just had study economics.

Why is this needed? there are plenty of ready made tech that does this from insteon to z-wave, just to embed this into a light bulb will create more radio interference with 100+ light bulbs in your house connected to wifi -- pointless

69$ pledge for 1 bulb.... right if they plan to sell these thing for that kinada price.. lest see I have on my main floor at least 9bulbs + bathrooms + beadrooms .. you think I can had the to the house mortgage

Back