TechSpot

Kickstarter project wants to reinvent the light bulb with Wi-Fi control

By Shawn Knight
Sep 17, 2012
Post New Reply
  1. A new Kickstarter project created by Phil Bosua following six months of work on dozens of prototypes is aiming to reinvent a technology that essentially hasn't changed very much in the last 100 years: the light bulb. Sure, we've all...

Read more

2. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

Engineers rule #1: Don't make complicated whats easy...

3. TJGeezer

TJGeezer TS Enthusiast Posts: 385   +10

The Chinese ones do look similar but they're not as bright, it seems. Several users commented that they're really toys or, in one case, for decorative use. The Kickstarter lights are intended for general, normal lighting around a home or place of business. Also, the RC is done by a smartphone, something people who have them would expect to carry around with them most of the time. I'd suggest making it work from any mobile gadget such as tablets, not just smartphones, but maybe that's what they plan.

4. JC713

JC713 TS Evangelist Posts: 7,063   +919

True, but I feel like this could be a good idea, but I feel like all the colors is not necessary

5. Led have 25 years of life?! ive seen led at 12 euros, can I trust in it?

6. Next, apple would invent another product called iBulb, a LED bulb embedded with iOS (and may come with retina-display-bulb and option for 8GB or 32GB) then patented LED bulb as their intellectual property.

Randomthom likes this.
  7. Timonius

Timonius TS Guru Posts: 585   +34

Needs a corresponding replacement for the light switch. An app through wireless device is great and all...

8. treetops

treetops TS Evangelist Posts: 1,710   +62

Marketing hype huh? Your confusing the words marketing and hype with almost 100 years of scientific research.

9. Tekkaraiden

Tekkaraiden TS Maniac Posts: 910   +55

That has some interesting light show possibilities.

10. I know that we as humans like yellow light better because of our sun, but I still like (and see better) with white light myself

11. Cota

Cota TS Enthusiast Posts: 521   +8

No, no,no ,no ,no... from all the things this video shows only 2 of them have a REAL and NECESSARY use:

1-Dim: can be easily done whit a potentiometer, wich would last for as long as the diodes.

2-Color Combinations: Can also be easily done whit another potentiometer, the "cheap" way would be using 3 potentiometerfors, one for each color (Red Blue Green), but I can be merged into one whit a simple (and yet cheap too) circuit.
    PD: and yet Color combinations isn't really necessary for all rooms.

Anything else from this video is nothing but ****, these kind of "evolutionaries" should just had study economics.

12. kazolar

kazolar TS Rookie

Why is this needed? there are plenty of ready made tech that does this from insteon to z-wave, just to embed this into a light bulb will create more radio interference with 100+ light bulbs in your house connected to wifi -- pointless

13. Neojt

Neojt TS Enthusiast Posts: 148   +10

69$ pledge for 1 bulb.... right if they plan to sell these thing for that kinada price.. lest see I have on my main floor at least 9bulbs + bathrooms + beadrooms .. you think I can had the to the house mortgage

Add New Comment

TechSpot Members
Login or sign up for free,
it takes about 30 seconds.
You may also...
Get complete access to the TechSpot community. Join thousands of technology enthusiasts that contribute and share knowledge in our forum. Get a private inbox, upload your own photo gallery and more.